Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I believe I am perimenopausal - There was a period of time

I believe I am perimenopausal - There was a period of time between the 2nd week of February of this year through the 2nd week of May when I had very excessive, continuous bleeding. The flow slowed once I started taking Shepherd's Purse, and ended in the second week of May. Now I've started again as of yesterday, and I am anxious that I'll have another 12 week interval. The reason I think I'm perimenopausal is because I'm 45 years old, and I've had hot flashes and noticed some skin changes as well (dryness, loss of elasticity) which seem a tad less gradual than I'd have expected. I saw something similar when I was 38 after the birth of my last child when my doctor tried to put me on a birth control series that was supposed to contain your period to only 4 times a year - I bled every day I took the pills for the first 6 weeks, so I stopped taking them and returned to normal. I believe the hormone imbalance was created by the pills years ago, and now my body is doing the same things on its own. Are there any herbal or homeopatic remedies to consider? I do not want to go on hormone therapy if I can avoid it.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

Hi

Dr. Owen :

Are you asking for medications to help bleeding and/or the hot flashes too?

Dr. Owen :

Hi -

Dr. Owen :

Well MORE than likely this is just due to being perimenopausal as anytime after the age of 40 it is normal to start to have these symptoms

Customer:

I'm looking for over the counter supplements or remedies or even foodstuffs I can consume to help reduce the bleeding moreso than the hotflashes (of course they're not fun either - so if there's something that could take care of both that would be excellent)

Dr. Owen :

But you should get evaluated first too to make sure all is well and that this is just perimenopause because this could be a thyroid condition, a polyp, a fibroid, or possibly a precancerous/ cancerous condition - although it is VERY unlikely to be a cancerous condition - it is always good to get this evaluated.

Customer:

What's involved in an evaluation usually? It is just a regular checkup?

Dr. Owen :

Well as for bleeding - there really is very little to help for bleeding - but sometimes Ibuprofen/ advil helps 600mg every 6 hours, but a GOOD prescription that is NON hormonal to help for bleeding is called Lysteda (also known as Tranexamic acid)

Dr. Owen :

The evaluation is a Pelvic exam, a PAP smear, a TSH thyroid blood test, a pelvic ultrasound, and an Endometrial biopsy (this takes a few seconds done in the ob/gyn office)

Dr. Owen :

MORE than likely all the tests will be normal - and THEN you can assume this is Perimenopause.

Customer:

Is there sedation involved during the biopsy?

Dr. Owen :

To help with hot flashes - herbs such as Black cohosh, Chasteberry, Vitex or Dong quai can help

Dr. Owen :

No, sedation is not needed - but to help with the minimal cramping you can get take Ibuprofen before you go to the doctor's office - it takes just a few seconds to do

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Also, NON- hormonal prescriptions for hot flahses include a medication called Clonidine (also known as catapress)

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr. Owen :

and have a great weekend coming up

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen