Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

whats wrong?

Customer Question

I’m 30years old and have no kids. I stopped birth control in Oct ’11 but began bleeding every day after doing so. It wasn’t until July’12 that they were able to figure out what was causing it (yes, I bleed every day for 9months). After correcting that my body was sent into hormonal turmoil. I had infection after infection after infection after infection (bacterial vagionosis [like 19 or 20 rounds of antibiotics +3shots], yeast [5 to 7 rounds of antifungal], and uti’s[was diagnosed w/several uti’s that were none responsive to treatment so they finally did a culture but there was no infection just high leukocytes] ) and was in extreme pain. This lasted for 5months when I was diagnosed with PID, an ovarian & cervical cyst, kidney stone, and endometriosis. I had surgery [Jan’13] to remove the endometriosis & cyst and check for possible damage caused by the PID. I also had my tubes checked and cleaned during this procedure. Doc. Said all looked good! I also, on a very consistent 24 day cycle (5days) and ovulating on day 13 or 14 [prior to Oct’11 had a very consistent 28day cycle(5days)] I had FSH, prolactin, progesterone, estrogen, etc. checked for fertility all was normal. My last three cycles have been off 23 days, ovulated on day 13(which I didn’t think much of), 26 days (ovulation day 13) which had me a bit worried . Which brings me to my last and current menstrual cycle… It started with ovulation on day 11 and began having pm cramps 4dpo and my cycle was only 20 days. *new cycle* Day 1: light brown discharge with some vaginal tissue remainders when I wiped. Day 2:: was pretty much the same. Day 3: NOTHING AT ALL. Day4: I had a couple of times where it was like I was peeing brown stuff from my vagina. Day 5: brown and watery. Day 6: It’s been like I was peeing red Kool-Aid even with the tampon in it feels like I’m peeing when it falls. I was having bad back and pelvic pain that went into my glutes. None of this cycle has been normal????? Also, my last few cycles prior to this one, I have had a couple of days each cycle where the blood was NEON red ( which is not normal for me either) I didn’t really think much of it at the time b/c everything else was pretty normal.  Definitely not pregnant. 

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Hi
I have a few questions first...
Sorry no one was online to help you and this is a very complicated questions - so please bare with me on this...

1. Are you trying to get pregnant, is this why you did all these tests?

2. What symptoms are you having right now, besides the bleeding?

3. What medications, creams, pills, etc are you taking right now?

4. Do you have Anxiety, stress or depression?

5. What is your height and weight?

Thank you,
Dr Owen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. yes, we are ttc

2. atm none, just woke up so have not checked on anything yet.

I'd also like to point out that my cycle started on Friday. Sat about 1 or 2 in the morning I had bad pain on my left side so I took a pain pill. When I got up in the morning I had bad back pain that wrapped around my ribs and into my tummy so I walked to take another pain pill. On my way back I stopped in my tracks b/c I got very nauseous, dizzy, and light headed and heat came over my body. Made it back to bed turned on heating pad. This pain only lasted a few minutes. Around 4pm that same day I was out and about I got very light headed, dizzy and nauseous again. I sat down and broke into a cold sweat this only lasted a few minutes. I had assumed that the 4pm one happened b/c of the stress of worrying about the other stuff.

3. I'm on amitriptyline 25mg. ( I was put on this at some point when I was having all my medical problems that started in July'12 b/c it has a side effect of urinary retention, sleep, helps with pain, and is used for depression.)

4. I do have a history of depression & anxiety , however, until last Friday when I started my cycle early neither of these were not an issue. I do not work and while our relationship is not perfect it's pretty darn good and have had no relationship issues for a while. He is successful so knock on wood no financial issues. We did put baby making on pause for a few month after surgery so I have actually be en very happy looking forward to getting the ball rolling again with that.

5. I am 5'5 approx. 125. I am physically active but in no way do I do any strenuous activities. I seldom drink, never smoked, no history of drugs, and stay away from caffeine

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
Is this all new - or has this happened before?

Do you have any thyroid problems?

In answer 2 you said atm - what do you mean by that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No thyroid problem that I'm aware of. I know that for my last physical[which I had sometime in 2012] it was fine

at the moment

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
I'm having difficulty 'tweezing' out your question here - .....

What specifically are you asking for help with...?
I have read everything through and I understand you have some irregularity to your periods, and some pain - can you ask very specific questions so that I can answer them?

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is causing it all of a sudden to do that?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
I guess what I'm asking - this is a very loaded question - can you be a bit more specific - I'm trying to help you - but everything you have in your 'question' is a lot of information - and asking for more specific question(s) to answer - that would help me to help you.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

why was my "O" date all of a sudden early? Why was my cycle 20 days? why is there a brown watery discharge? Why was there nothing on day 3? Why is the blood so thin that it's like I'm peeing? why has my cycle gone past 5 days? The unusual pain and symptoms that have accompanied this cycle? etc.. As I said NOTHING has been normal and yes this is 1st time this have ever happened to me. I pointed out the last few inconsistencies in the last few cycles and my previous medical history in case you thought anything was connected/a precursor to something else. Started my cycle at age 11 from age 14 to 29 I knew what to expect, when to expected, and how long to expected it. Then I had the bleed issue for nine months. Found out my cycle dropped to 24 days, but still I have what to expect, when to expect it. My cycle has been like clockwork ... this is not normal for me

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
Well as for your ovulation date you really can not tell EXACTLY that you have ovulated UNLESS it is seen on an ultrasound and or you got pregnant - all the other things such as ovulation testing and the discharge you see are all 'indications' of ovulation but they are NOT exact.

As for your cycle being 20 days - You should check your thyroid - as everything else is normal - but if not your thyroid - then more than likely it is due to anxiety - as this can vary your cycle.

Your blood being thin - this could be bleeding from the fallopian tubes or ovaries that is draining into the uterus and out of the uterus - you will need an ultrasound to tell for sure.

As for your cycle - well a cycle is normal if still within 2 to 8 days of bleeding - so that is normal.

If nothing on day 3 - perhaps there was a blood clot blocking the cervical outlet - hard to say without doing an exam on you.

And, I think this all comes down to you having Anxiety and Endometriosis - and hence when you want to get pregnant you should work closely with an ob/gyn - because although tests can be normal - there are other indications here that you might be experiencing infertility problems due to a thyroid condition, endometriosis or Anxiety (although you might not think much of it, it does play a very large role in this).

Also a menstrual cycle is normal when it is anywhere from 24 to 35 in length with bleeding anywhere from 2 to 8 days.

I hope this helps
Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you (please do not click on poor or bad - as this hurts me)
Thank you XXXXX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the endometriosis was removed

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
Actually once you have endometriosis it never goes away - until you are in menopause.
Endometriosis is microscopic and hence what you see visually is essentially just a third - whereas 2/3 of it is below the surface of what you see - so hence unless you are in menopause or you have had your ovaries removed - endometriosis can still be playing a very large part in this problem you are experiencing.

So, this is why it is important to be followed closely by an ob/gyn to help you to get pregnant.

I hope this helps
Thank you XXXXX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Based on the symptoms/history do you think it could be premature menopause/perimenopause?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
No, this is NOT premature menopause - if that was the case your FSH would be extremely elevated and it probably is not the case.

I think this is due to your thyroid, anxiety and/or endometriosis - and hence getting pregnant it would be very prudent to be working with an ob/gyn and that way your menstrual cycles can normalize, etc..
For example if this was Endometriosis - then an injection of Depo Lupron (NOT depo provera) might be all you need.

I hope this helps
Thank you XXXXX
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

I see you have seen my answers...

How was your endometriosis removed?
Was this done Laparoscopically?

I know this is frustrating, I really do, but this can be over come.

And, Have I provided you with EXCELLENT responses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, laparoscopically. "Monopolar scissors was used excise the larger one and the smaller was ablated w/cautery." Also, with the possible bleeding from the fallopian tube... there was a mishap during surgery [Jan'13] "inadvertent cautery of the right fallopian tube w/partial transection of the ampullary portion." she said that there should be no permanent damage ---Could this have anything to do w/any of my problems? Just wondering on the thyroid issue... I have been practicing Taekwondo for a year now and one of my concerns is that I require A LOT more water breaks than anyone else and when sparring ("friendly" sparring only) I'm out of breath very easily and can only make it 1 or 2 rounds whereas no one else, including people 2 &3 x's my size have this problem ... could this be connected w/my thyroid, Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Well if one fallopian tube was damaged - then you should get this checked with what is known as a HSG - Hysterosalpingogram to see if that tube works.

As for your thyroid, it is a simple blood test - called TSH - and it should be between 0.6 and 1.5 for you to have a good working thyroid and a good working pituitary gland.

Keep doing the taekwondo - that is good for you.

I wish you well
Please don't forget to click on EXCELLENT for helping you
Thank you
Dr Owen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much! I have made an appointment for tomorrow

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome
Please don't forget to click on EXCELLENT
this is the ONLY way we get Positive ratings -
Thank you
Dr Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. said that all blood work and ultra sound look good. That it is now a waiting game to see if this will happen again. He has referred me to a reproductive specialist for an Hysterosalpingogram.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
Perfect...
I hope all goes well then for you
If you have more questions - please feel free to ask

Dr Owen
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi there, I am having the same problem again this cycle. I started watery brown discharge on day 26 (day 19 of normal cycle) of when the brown discharge started last month. It has been going on for 3 days now. Also I had been using the clear blue easy 2day ovulation digital predictor kit, but it only gave one day w/smiley face every time so I stopped checking for a 2nd day. This last cycle with everything going on I got the clear blue 4 day OPK. It gave me NO "high" I only got a reading at "peak" on day17/10. It stays that way for 48 hrs so I could not retest w/that device. So I used the 2 day for the next day (which was still in that 48hr period) but came back negative.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 11 months ago.
Hi - what question would you like me to answer you from the information you gave me..
Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Any other suggestions on whats causing my cycle to be out of whack/the brown discharge/ the brown discharge so early/late.

why am I only showing a spike w/ovulation hormones 1day? Could this be affecting my fertility?

Have you had any of the tests that I discussed with you awhile back?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes, I was tested for thyroid. it came back negative

Good on the thyroid....

Also was looking at your previous info - do you have any anxiety / stress?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I cant honestly say no, but I honestly believe it's not related. I have always had anxiety problems... much, much, much worst than I am now. and that has never been an issue

I totally understand about the anxiety now that you have.

But, for you now - in addition to the thyroid which was normal -
You might have what is known as a Chronic endometritis - a minor infection of the Uterus - and this can be checked with a Swab that goes Inside the uterus - and if you have this - then a 10 to 14 day course of the Antibiotic Doxycycline might be necessary.

And, if you have not been checked for blood levels of Testosterone, Insulin and Prolactin - I would suggest getting these simple tests done.

This is something that is a step wise process to get done....

I wish there was an easier way.....

Also, get your ob/gyn to help you more often and have an appointment with your ob/gyn even for just 15 minutes every 2 to 3 weeks until you get pregnant - that way you can discuss things in this process of getting pregnant.

I hope this helps
Please click on EXCELLENT
thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I just wanted to thank you so much for you help!!! I transferred my care to a more trusted doctor (7hrs away). All of the above blood work you suggested was normal. She went ahead a did another ultrasound and found that I have a cyst on my left ovary. She is putting me on a 1 month round of birth control pills for this. She also did a pelvic exam (which the first doctor fail to do) and came back negative for BV and yeast but had a high white blood cell count so she put me on a 10 day round of the antibiotic Doxycycline. She will be checking progesterone levels for ovulation and preforming a HSG in the near future.

Wonderful....
I am so happy for you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok, very sorry to bother you again... and if I need to ask as a new question I will, but wanted to let you know that they are connected. The doc. told me that the pelvic pain could be caused by the cyst, however, last night after having level 20 pain in the pelvic/glute area and about a 4 or 5 this morning I googled endometriosis which you mentioned (keep in mind that previously I had a lot of things going on at once that I had never had before so narrowing down what pain belong to what was pretty much impossible) and found this site: http://www.endo-resolved.com/symptoms.html I have pretty much EVERY symptom. Two other of my complaints were severe cramping w/diarrhea and fatigue (which she did find a vitamin D deficiency) and she found that I was "abnormally sensitive" when she did the pelvic exam.

My question to you is you mentioned Depo Lupron. Can you please tell me how this helps endometriosis? ... I've read that it is used as birth control... how will this medicine affect my fertility? how will the endometriosis affect my fertility?

Well everyone has vitamin D deficiency - so don't worry about that.....

As for Depo Lupron this is BOTH an Estrogen AND an Anti-Estrogen and what this does is that it Shrinks the Endometriosis that is around the pelvis -

Endometriosis essentially causes pain by Stretching the layer of skin in the pelvis called the peritoneum - and hence by Shrinking the endometriosis Implants that you probably have this will then stop the pain.

The Peritoneum skin layer is VERY sensitive to stretching - even small amounts - so that is why the Depo Lupron will help.

A similar medication called Synarel might help you too.

Depo Lupron is NOT used as a birth control (you are thinking of Depo Provera that is a birth control).

It will NOT affect your fertility once it has worn off - usually wears off in about 3 months.

I wish you well

Please click on EXCELLENT for answering this extra question - this would be appreciated for helping you
Thank you
Dr Owen
When are you seeing your doctor about this?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am scheduled for an appt. on the 16th as a follow up, but will let her know that this is going on. The pelvic pain started again on Thurs evening but was tolerable. Last night, however, a heating pad was doing nothing so I finally had to take a pain pill. I also, since last Friday have had hardly any to no appetite but have been doing a candida cleansing diet. I read on the inet that candida die off could possible be a cause of this. just not sure though...

That is good.
Please click on EXCELLENT for the two previous answers I have given you...
I will then answer your additional question
thank you
Dr Owen