Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

Hello again. The baby has clearly dropped in the last few days.

Hello again. The baby has clearly dropped in the last few days. Good movement but lower in abdomen.

Also, from week 24 I have gotten quarter or so sized wet spots in my panties. Was checked at week 24 and not leaking. However, I noticed more wetness last week prior to US on Wednesday with afi of 12 and Thursday with afi of 9. The strange thing is the wet spots seem to have stopped. Could I have 0 fluid? Baby moving fine. Heart rate fine though when I checked with Doppler today it stayed 160 + off and on for 1/2 hour. Heart rate normal now, I have appointment tomorrow for nst.

Welcome back.

If the baby seems to have dropped, then the risks of early labour has increased.

The earlier wet spots you had were probably from vaginal discharge. if this had been from leakage of liquor, then the AFI would have decreased considerably. During pregnancy, the cervical cells may change from a squamous to a columnar type due to the effect of estrogen. These columnar cells can secrete a thin watery discharge which is often mistaken for liquor amnii.

If the wet spots have now stopped, it is possible that the discharge has decrease or has become thicker.

Since your AFI and the fetal heart rate is normal, your prgnancy is OK. But I would be careful about going into early labour and keep an eye out for any symptoms of labour.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Afi was last Thursday so it could be down now, correct? However, movement is fine.

Discharge was watery and this a.m when I wiped it was closer to egg whites. Is this change from thin to thick normal?

Abdomen looks flatter on top since drop which is also why I am concerned about oligohydramnios. Baby is completely on left side and doesn't seem to like it when I lay flat on left side. Could this be due to low fluid.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Lastly, I forgot to mention, the wet spots were far forward in my panties so I thought they were likely urine as baby has always been low. Last week there were a few lower down that seemed more likely vaginal. Because baby has dropped/shifted, could he be placing pressure in a different spot hence the wet spots have stopped?
If the AFI had gone down to a serious level, the baby's movements would have been restricted. Decreased movements is one of the first signs of a low AFI.

Yes, it is normal for the discharge to change from a thin to a thicker type.

If the abdomen looks flatter, then please ask for a repeat ultrasound tomorrow - if the AFI is normal, you have no cause for concern.

I do not think lying go n the left side would affect the baby in any way.

As far as the wet spots goes, yes, change in the baby's position can decrease pressure on the bladder and stop the wet spots.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. You have helped very much. I will have a US tomorrow. As baby is moving right now, is there any immediate danger or danger of going to sleep? Lastly, could drop account for flatter top appearance? Fundus is clearly much lower
No, there is no danger in going to sleep - the baby will be OK.

Yes, the drop can account for the flatter appearance. The AFI is probably OK since the baby's movements are OK.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Geez, I forgot. I'm recovering from a bad cold. Can severe coughing affect pregnancy in any way. Also, does sitting up/leaning back compress inferior vena cava? I may sleep this way as more comfortable. What is best for low blood pressure? Laying to left or sitting up?
No, severe coughing will not affect the pregnancy in any way. And no, sitting up/leaning back does not compress the inferior vena cava - you can sleep in this position if you like.

Lying on the left is best for low BP.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will sit up and lean to the left. Does risk of pre term labor mean any time? I read that babies often drop later in 2nd pregnancies - not for me. What signs should I look for? Any activities to avoid?
Preterm labor means labour which starts before 37 weeks of pregnancy.

The signs of preterm labor is similar to that of normal labor - pain, bleeding etc.