Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

I have always had what appear to be tiny bruises on my vagina

I have always had what appear to be tiny bruises on my vagina but they have never become elevated. After shaving two days ago I noticed about a dozen tiny black blood blisters on the external area shaved only. They are not painful, they are soft and round. There is no smell, discharge or pain urinating. Just dark spots (normal for me), some raised (this is new). Do I need to be concerned that this is an STD or stop using dull raisers in a hurry.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Since when have you had the tiny bruises on the vulva? ever since you started shaving? Do they increase each time you shave?

Do they hurt when you shave?

Did you recently have unprotected sex?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure how long really, but over 10 years. I have thick blood but am not currently taking thinners. I've taken cumadin and others due to clots (micro emboli in my lungs) in the past. When I was on the blood thinners they decreased. Shaving, until two days ago, didn't seem to affect them.

To be noted I do have HPV but this does not appear similar to an outbreak. No discharge or low back pain. I even had a black pea sized hard nodule pop out on the bottom of my right foot the same day.

I'm concerned it is blood clotting issue. Should I send a pic? I'm about to travel to high elevation. Are the two connected?

I have been with 1 partner (as has he) for a year and a half.

Yes, please send a pic,.. You can click on the paper icon and post the image. or you can use a freesite like and then post the link here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't get the pic to upload. I was able to email it to myself easily but the site says that it can't find the file when I select it in the photo gallery. Suggestions?

Please copy and paste the link here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm on my phone and can't

Virginia, I am going to go ahead and answer you without the images.

The blood spots you have now are probably due to injury byt eh razor while shaving. The black spots which you had earlier were dilated veins - common in many women.

But the raised spots are due to collection of blood leaking from the injured veins.

There are no STDs which cause this type of spots.

Bruises or ulcers caused by most STD usually cause pain an inflammation around the ulcer. And they become gradually worse without specific treatment for the STD.

In your case, since there is no pain or discharge, these are not due to an STD but due to injury by the razor.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Link can be found here just to confirm thank you.

I have checked the link and yes, this is a blood spot due to leakage of blood from an injured vein. The other black spots, the flat ones, appear to be dilated veins.

This is not due to an STD and should clear up spontaneously. Using an ice pack for 10 minutes twice a day will help it to clear up faster.