Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I am 31 weeks 3 days pregnant and carrying very low. I had

Customer Question

I am 31 weeks 3 days pregnant and carrying very low. I had AFI checks on Wednesday and Thursday and measurements were 12 and then 9. When I expressed concern to the tech on Thursday she said that difference is not significant and it would be different if measured a few minutes later. I asked her to remeasure and she refused. Fetal movement is good. 30 minutes on heart monitor last night at hospital excellent.

I have had wet spots in my panties from 24 weeks. They are a bit bigger but no consistent trickle and no need for a panty liner. My question is today, my son seems to be even lower in my abdomen and the top of my abdomen feels almost and I can see and feel a distinct horizontal line on abdomen about 3 inches above my belly button as if that is where fundus begins or the line is cutting through it. Could this be a sign that my fluid be low? Any other explanation for the line? Baby's kicks are definitely lower today.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

An AFI of 9 or 12 is a normal AFI for 31 weeks, The variation between 9 and 12 is not significant. The AFI can vary from day to day and even at different times in the same day. As long as it is not below 5 or above 25, it is normal.

The distinct horizontal line is, as you have suspected, the fundus. And no, the upper level of the fundus becoming clearly defined is not a sign of a low liquor volume. It is a sign of the uterine muscles contracting and toning in preparation for childbirth - this is normal.

You will see the line becoming less distinct in the next few days as the uterus relaxes once again.

The baby should kick or move at least 10 times in 24 hours. Please keep a count of the movements - if it falls below 10 in the next 24 hours, please contact your Obgyn.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That is very helpful. Regarding my fundus - why has it moved so low? It was much higher the last time the doctor measured with tape measure. Baby is measuring on the bigger side (accordinng to detailed US on Thursday) so fundus measurement now seems like it will be quite inaccurate . Can fundus be that low and have room for baby? He measured 3 lb 14 oz at 31 weeks 1 day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lastly, does carrying low put me at risk for early labor? Also, since baby is completely on my left side, will sleeping on my left side risk compressing his cord? My blood pressure runs low so I try to stay on my left side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This really is final - baby kicks way more than 10 times in most hours. Did a piece of information I provided concern you? I just re read your reply and am referring to the direction to do kick counts in next 24 hours.

Thank you.
Reina,

The fundal height depends , to a great extent, on the position of the baby. If the baby is in the head down position along teh mother's spin al cord, the fundus will be at a higher level. If the baby shifts the position and is at an angle to the mother's spine or even at right angles to the spine, the the fundal height will be less.

Measuring with the tape measure alone can be quite inaccurate. the overall size of the baby needs to be considered - the fundal height as well as palpation of the flanks. Also, in your case, if you are carrying low, the fundal height will be on the lower side. the USG measurements are more accurate.

Carrying low does carry a mild risk for an early labor but this risk is negligible.

No, sleeping on the left side will not compress the cord even if the baby is on the left side. It will have no effect on the baby at all. But it will help in maintaining the blood pressure since the aorta will be less compressed by the enlarging uterus.

Your information is not concerning - the baby's movements as well as all other parameters appear normal.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help. You have definitely put my mind at ease. I am feeling contractions occasionally very mildly on my lower left abdomen. I felt one a bit ago and the fundus line reappeared. Nothing consistent and I know what real labor feels like - my questions stem from this pregnancy being so different from my last. I don't feel the tightening of BH with this one as I did with my last. I just occasional have an overall tight feeling and the lower left ab pain. Any final comments will be appreciated. Thank you for all of your help and have a great night.

Reina
The uterus outlines including the fundal height will become more distinct with every contraction - this is not a cause for worry.

The second pregnancy may be different from the first - since the body has already been pregnant once, the ligaments and other tissues are more lax and can cause more symptoms. Also since you are already aware of what a pregnancy feels like, you are more likely to pick up on anything which does not seem similar to the previous one.

From your signs and symptoms, you are carrying a healthy pregnancy.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! I'm now 35 weeks 4 days. Baby moving constantly today and measuring quite big. I've gained 27 lbs and 6 lb 9 oz is estimated baby as of Thursday! Also, as I am quite small with big belly, I have noticed vibration movements where baby's back is. Feels/looks like breathing. Is it practice breathing? Definitely NOT hiccups. He gets 3 bouts of those a day for about 10 minutes each.

Any concern over constant movement? Nothing spastic or thrashing.
Reina,

Welcome back.

The vibrations that you feel are due to the increased blood supply in the uterus. When the baby's back presses against the uterine wall, the movement of the blood becomes more apparent and since the blood has a pulsatile movement, it feels like breathing.

And constant movements are good. it is lack of movements which are worrisome.

I hope that helps.