Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

I just had a vagInal ultrasound to determine dates and reassure

I just had a vagInal ultrasound to determine dates and reassure myself. They technician saw a perfect 3 week pregnancy, and a black spot near it. She asked her supervisor, and they said it could be a failed twin. I havent found an obgyn yey. Dying to know if there are other possibilities, worried about miscarriage or ther issues.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

The black spot is more likely to be the yolk sac. In very early pregnancy, the yolk sac is seen as a black spot near the embryo. The exact function of the yolk sac in humans is not clearly known but is believed to be either nutritional or as an external circulatory system.

A yolk sac is a sign of a healthy pregnancy.

It is unlikely to be a failed twin - when a twin fails to develop, there is usually some amount of bleeding or spottin, though not always.

I hope this helps.