Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

If your cycles run 27 days consistently for 6 months the 27th

Customer Question

If your cycles run 27 days consistently for 6 months the 27th day being the start of ones period. And a first day of last period on May 11,2013 with a positive pregnancy test on June 7th
I am concerned what is the possibility or likelihood that partner #1 having had sex with on May 17th being the father of the babies vs. partner #2 having had sex with on May 22nd, May 23rd, May 28th and May 29th 2013. I'm not sure ovulation would defiantly have been the 25th as one would think as i do not track ovulation. So my concern is there a slim possibility it could be partner #1? Since this did not show as a fertile day however I see online sperm can live 3 to possibly 5 days?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

If the first day of your last menstrual period was the 11th May, then it is very unlikely that you could have conceived from sexual intercourse on the 17th May. Althouhg sperm does remain in the female genital tract for about 5 days, it can fertilize an ovum for only about 48 hours. So it is unlikely that sex on the 17th could have fertilized an ovum released at around the 25th.

Also since you have had regular periods, your ovulation would also have been regular that is around the 25th.

I don't think that there is a possibility of partner 1 being the father.

I hope this helps.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is very helpful considering this is a rare and awkward situation I exposed myself to. You confirmed what I believed to be so. However, I became increasingly concerned as on June 18th I should have been 5 weeks and 3 days however a trans-vaginal ultrasound shows gestational age of 4 weeks and it was thought due to being in my 40's maybe i ovulated later in my cycle? Hopefully the next us on July 2 will be more helpful as to what I understand is plus or minus two weeks.

Yes, you could have ovulated later - that would date the pregnancy later than the first day of the LMP. In that case, of course, pregnancy from the sex on the 17th is even more impossible.