Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy 9 weeks ago because I had

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy 9 weeks ago because I had excessive fibroids. During this procedure I had to have a stent for week. The urologist that did the stent at the time of surgery advised me to go see another urologist in my hometown within a month after the stent removal to make sure my kidneys were ok. I went to the urologist and during a routine urinalysis it was discovered that I had high Protein levels and traces of blood. The urologist thought it was related to the hysterectomy and advised me to come back in a month. 4 weeks ago, the left side of my vaginal cuff had to be repaired. I have some wierd twinges in my vaginal cuff area now and I am asssuming this is normal healing. yesterday, I went to the urologist again and had another Urinalysis. The Protein was gone but I still had traces of blood. The Urologist said for me to come back again in one month and that it could be residual from the healing of the new repair four weeks ago although I have no vaginal bleeding anymore. She said if the blood is not gone in 3 months she wants me to have a work up (cystoscopy). I had this done at the time of my surgery and I have a report that my bladder is normal. My concern is the blood in my urine. Is it possible it is still from this the surgery even though I have no vaginal bleeding anymore or should I go get another cystocopy? I am so tired of the worrying.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello - was one of your ureters damaged at the time of the surgery?

Dr. Owen :

It sounds like it was since you had a stent placed?

Customer:

The urologist during the surgery said that they put dye in my left side and after twenty minutes it was not passing so he put in a stent. He didnt say anythingbwas damaged duringbsurgery. When I went for a renal ultra sound two weeks after the removal they said my kidneys were fine exceot a 9mm simple cyst which no one was worried about. I have had some urethra discomfort since but it is intermittant now.

Dr. Owen :

okay - it sounds like it was damaged - so hence the need for a stent

Dr. Owen :

and since this was the case - this can take a few months for this to totally heal

Dr. Owen :

So, more than likely by about 4 to 6 months AFTER the surgery you should be absolutely back to normal

Dr. Owen :

Honestly if your ob/gyn surgeon was totally truthful to you about the reason for the stent - then you probably would have had less anxiety about this - but do NOT worry - this will ALL clear up on its own.

Dr. Owen :

Hi - Are you there still?

Customer:

He said he might have been overreacting but wanted to be safe that is why he wanted a follow up with a renal ultra sound and they said it was ok except the cyst. I am just really concerned about the traces of blood in my urine but the urologist that put the stent in did a cystoscopy and the report said my bladder was normal so i am really confused about the traces of blood and just wondered if i should be worried. It has been 9 weeks

Dr. Owen :

well do not worry about the traces of blood -

Dr. Owen :

given what you have been through this is very normal

Dr. Owen :

so do not worry about this

Dr. Owen :

it should clear up soon - and given you are at 9 weeks post op - this should clear hopefully by about 3 to 6 months - this is when I see this clear 100%

Customer:

Ok you have been so helpful. I have been going crazy over all of this. I don't think I was completely informed. The twinges and wierd feeling at my cuff repair four weeks out is normal as well?

Dr. Owen :

yes - this will heal too

Dr. Owen :

Also at the cuff - have your doctor prescribe you Vagifem -

Dr. Owen :

It helps tremendously too to help the vaginal cuff to heal

Dr. Owen :

this is an Estrogen suppository you use twice per week

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Customer:

Thank u. I was worried about cancer or something causing the blood in the urine. Then I started getting these twinges and I think the hysterectomy caused me panic attacks now. Its been quite stressful. I will talk to her about this estrogen. Thank you very much

Dr. Owen :

No, this is very UNLIKELY to be a cancer - especially when everything else is clear

Dr. Owen :

this is very obvious due to your recent surgery

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Have a wonderful evening

Customer:

Well that is a relief. I just didn't want to wait to get more tests if it wasn't related to all this. It just seems 9week shoukd be long enough to heal but I guess I need to be patient . You are wondeful. Thanks

Dr. Owen :

you are welcome

Dr. Owen :

Have a good evening

Dr. Owen :

you should be able to see the EXCELLENT near the smile face

Dr. Owen :

and if you have more questions even at a later date - please come back to this question

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Customer:

I sure will.

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate