Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

Hi, I had a ct scan done of my lungs a few weeks ago. The pregnancy

Hi, I had a ct scan done of my lungs a few weeks ago. The pregnancy test I took at the hospital came back negative but now I am showing positive. I believe I would have been about 10 days pregnant at the time of scan. Now I am really worried reading all the risks of a scan during pregnancy, birth defects and higher childhood cancer rates. I haven't been to my obgyn yet, just took the test and office is closed. I am so scared I have harmed my unborn child that I am nauseous and shakey. I would really appreciate a medical opinion, the Internet is just making it worse!

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

so the pregnancy test was negative at the time of your CT scan, correct/

Dr. Owen :

?

Customer: Yes
Dr. Owen :

Well very simply put, the harm is absolutely NONE.

Dr. Owen :

As an ob/gyn - for close to 20 years, I have order a LOT of CT scans of women around your gestational age and at every week of pregnancy - and essentially CT scans do not harm the fetus -

Dr. Owen :

And, if you want to put this as an equivalent amount of radiation - let me explain.

Dr. Owen :

When you fly cross country from NY to Los Angeles and Back to NY - that is equivalent to getting 1 CT scan - because when you are airborne in an airplane at 30,000 to 40,000 feet you are getting radiation exposure

Dr. Owen :

So, millions of pregnancy women fly - and they do not cause harm to the baby with this SMALL amount of radiation.

Dr. Owen :

So, you do NOT need to worry at all

Customer: Wow. Then why all the negative information on the web and why the test for pregnancy beforehand?
Dr. Owen :

And, honestly since you are in the beginnings of your pregnancy I really have such good suggestion - please do not read all these negative and false statements on the internet - this will cause you to have a TON of anxiety

Dr. Owen :

The reason why we do pregnancy tests is because the radiologist requires it - and then if it is positive, the radiologist calls an ob/gyn and then the ob/gyn says - YES it is okay to do a CT scan -

Dr. Owen :

And, also at such as YOUNG gestational age - you really can NOT do any harm -

Dr. Owen :

even if you took what we call category X medications - you really will not cause harm at this gestational age

Customer: Okay, thank you. I was in full panic mode thinking I had harmed my baby, I should have known better than to google!
Dr. Owen :

So, try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy

Dr. Owen :

Congratulations

Dr. Owen :

Instead of googling - how about come back here, ask for me, Dr Owen - I've been an ob/gyn for a very long time

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Customer: Thank you!
Dr. Owen :

you are welcome

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen

Dr. Owen :

Hi