Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

I am 44 years old, always had my period on time but this month

I am 44 years old, always had my period on time but this month I am late 4 days. Took a home pregnancy test and its negative but I have cramps. Today I had a brown discharge not a lot. Can I still be pregnant? I have taken a total of 3 test. One one day before my period date, one the next day and then the other one two days later.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

When were you due to get your periods? Date?

And when did you get the pregnancy test?

When did you have unprotected sex?

What medicines, if any, are you on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Took the first one June 15

Had sex on 4th and 5th

took second pregnancy test 16 and the third one today the 19

Only taking over the counter medicine for cold.

Thank you for the additional information.

Since you are 4 days late, I assume that you were due to get your periods on the 15th.

If you have normal regular periods, then you would have ovulated at around the 2nd of June. The 4th and 5th is approximately on your fertile period and sex at this time carries a high chance of a pregnancy.

While in most women, pregnancy tests can come back positive on the day of teh missed period, in many women it can show a false negative report. It is best to get the tests after 7 days of the missed period for an accurate result.

It is also possible that your delayed period is due to stress over the chances of pregnancy. Stress, especially at your age, can delay periods.

Please wait and repeat the tests after the 22nd - this will give you a more accurate result.

I hope this helps.