Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I had a TAH and BSO 4 years ago ,now have a pelvic cyst 3.7cm

I had a TAH and BSO 4 years ago ,now have a pelvic cyst 3.7cm big .It looks like an ovarian cyst,but I have no ovaries. What could it be? I am 6 years post colon cancer.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, I am Dr Owen, I am a Board Certified Ob/Gyn Medical Doctor and I want to help you.

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

okay well Unlikely this an ovarian cyst since you do not have ovaries - HOWEVER you might have had a small piece of ovary left and hence this would be an ovarian remnant;.

Dr. Owen :

and given you have had colon cancer I would suggest a PET scan and a CT scan to see exactly what this cyst is.

Dr. Owen :

HI

Dr. Owen :

to type - type in the box and click on Reply

Customer:

Had a CT scan and the report said it looks like an ovarian cyst.It is in my left pelvic cavity. Colon cancer was left side and had a hemicolectomy. Am currently in remission. Mostly worried about likelihood of cancerThe cyst is round in shape

Dr. Owen :

okay -

Dr. Owen :

Well more than likely a little piece of ovary was left - and this is fairly common since you can not always be sure you get every piece of ovary -

Dr. Owen :

So I would suggest getting a CA-125 blood test to see if this is elevated.

Dr. Owen :

Plus I would also suggest a possible Laparoscopic procedure to place a camera inside of you so that this 3.7 cm cyst can be better identified and if necessary it can be removed at the time of the laparoscopic procedure.

Dr. Owen :

Most likely this is not worrisome - but I think this does deserve some attention given your history.

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr Owen