Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I have bumps on my vagina, between the outer and inner lips.

I have bumps on my vagina, between the outer and inner lips. They are flesh colored. Do not itch. Do no burn or hurt. Seem to be in clusters of 3-4 in a couple of spots. I've been working out and tanning more. Taking Cephalexin 500mg BID for 3wks (acne treatment) No previous STDs. Married, monogamous 2 years. What are the bumps? Is there a risk to my health? Should we stop having sex? Can my husband catch anything? I have detailed photos posted.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

These seem to be labial Fordyce spots. They occur due to enlarged glands under the skin and can be perfectly normal. They can remain as they are for years or may decrease in size and fadre over time. They are not sexually transmitted and do not need to be treated.

You can continue to have sex and lead a perfectly normal life.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they have only come up in the last 5 days. They seem to be multiplying in number... are you sure your diagnosis is correct?

Ryan,

The pictures do suggest Fordyce spots.

They can also be due to enlarged sebaceous glands but are more likely to be Fordyce's.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you view the 3rd photo inserted in the 2nd reply?

they are only present on the left side of my body... none to the right.

Could a yeast or fungal infection also cause this?

Yes, I saw the third photo.

Fordyce spots can be present on only one side of the vagina.

An yeast infection would not cause spots like this - it would cause a itchy rash.

A bacterial infection may cause similar bumps but the bumps would be reddish, not skin colored, and painful due to inflammation.