Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

jan13 yeast infection I took some meds and it went away so

jan'13 yeast infection I took some meds and it went away so i thought. march I was treated for BV. & again in April may i had my IUD taken out. When dr took it out he said he saw the infection on the device. I was again treated and a new dr put a new IUD in. the dr said i had a slight yeast infection when she put it in but not to worry. since the new IUD has been in i still get crazy discharge....sometimes white, pale yellow and green....always leaving crusty junk in my undies. now the discharge has turned the darkest red ive ever seen in my life, i would say almost black. that lasted for 15 days (stopped 10 days ago) and now the dark discharge is back again, Im on day 4 of it. i have a yucky odor and went back to the dr who put the IUD in and asked her about it. She said it was no big deal and it was my body healing from iud placement. i dont feel thats whats going on since this was never the case w/ my last 2 IUDs. I am 29. no std's is this PID? what do I do. my dr is blowing me off

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Customer:

hi

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so if there is no pain...it's not PId

Customer:

i do get pain. not all the time...a few times a day. im fine and then i get a shooting line of pain right in the middle of above my vagina...then it goes away just as quick

Dr. Pfeiffer :

can you feel the stings?

Customer:

yes....i dont feelthem but the dr yesterday said she could

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok. is this the mirena or paragard iud

Customer:

i dont like sticking anything up me as silly as that sounds

Customer:

mirena

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok. how long had you had the original mirena in before you started having trouble?

Customer:

i had my 1st one in for 5 years and never had an issue.. i had my second in for 3 years and thats when the smell and discharge started....that was taken out and this one has been in for about a month and a half

Dr. Pfeiffer :

any new partners

Customer:

no havent had sex in almost a year

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

not common, but some women will have discharge with the mirena and even the vaginal rings.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the part that doesn't make sense is the time frame

Customer:

even after never having discharge before?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you didn't seem to have any problems and then all of a sudden...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, that makes me believe it's something else

Customer:

and the smell...and crazy colors of the discharge is ok?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

is the smell with the dark discharge like death...I know that sounds funny, but you would know for sure

Customer:

yes around january they treated me for yeast and then said no its BV...twice treated for BV.......actually was treted for BV about 2 years ago as well....the smell is I dont know...it makes me gag a little...i wouldnt say death but its bad and gross

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If you were my patient..I think I would look a little deeper into this.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

this is not normal and I have placed a ton of IUDs

Dr. Pfeiffer :

abnormal bleeding and spotting is pretty common.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

foul odor, discharge is not

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I would suggest having it removed and the IUD cultured

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I would also have you get an ultrasound to look for growths inside the uterus

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I would also do a basic panel for bacteria and yeast...this would be a culture

Customer:

i have state insurance and not many dr take it. The clinic i can go to really keeps dismissing me and blowing me off. I asked them to remove it yesterday and they told me to wait. that they just placed it and i need to give it time..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

believe it or not there are resistant strains of yeast to the most common treatment we prescribe.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I see.

Customer:

i know the whole world is poor right now but single mom no help money wise from dad where do i go to get someone to run tests on me?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

If you are not sexually active I would demand it be taken out and cultured

Dr. Pfeiffer :

planned parenthood should be able to take it out and culture it for you

Dr. Pfeiffer :

they should also be able to run the tests on you and set you up with a pill if you wish

Customer:

thats where ive been going and they dont seem to think there is a problem. i know bodys change but ive never bleed or had discharge like this with my 1st IUD.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

well...I agree, this does not sound normal to me.

Customer:

i know this sounds strange but ive also been breaking out like crazy my face my back my legs that couldnt be related could it?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's usually a hormone thing rather than the IUD

Customer:

ok thank you. i will make another appointment with planned parenthood and try to get them to take it out and test it. i doubt they will send me for an ultrasound. if it comes back positive for something just trat it and i should be ok?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome...I wish you the best.

Customer:

thanks again.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sure

Dr. Pfeiffer :

take care and have a good night

Customer:

you too

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thanks.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

please rate my service excellent if I've been helpful