Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

My girlfriend is taking methotrexate and we just found out

My girlfriend is taking methotrexate and we just found out she is pregnant. We were told for her NOT to get pregnant while taking this and here we are. I researched a lot online and I am extremely worried. What are the chances of the child having major issues? Any advise is much appreciated.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

- Why was your girlfriend taking methotrexate? Since when? At what dose?

- When did she get her last period? When did you get the pregnancy test?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
25mg once a week for arthritis. She's been taking it for about 3 or 4 months. Last period April 30th. Test was on June 4th.

Thank you for the additional information.

Methotrexate is under pregnancy category X, as labelled by the FDA. This indicates that the drug can cause serious fetal anomaly or death.

The common anomalies seen with exposure to Methotrexate during pregnancy are spina bifida, skull anomalies like lack of sutures, a small mandible, low set ears, anencephaly ( lack of a large part of teh brain) hydrocephalus (collection of fluid around the brain), absence of fingers or toes, heart problems like dextroposition, absence or malposition of the blood vessels etc.

Ideally pregnancy should be avoided for at least one ovulatory cycle after stopping the drug since the drug persists in the blood for quite some time.

Since she is in early pregnancy, a time when the brain and the nervous system develops rapidly, the chances of the baby having congenital anomalies in this system is high.

Please consult your Obgyn as early as possible foe a discussion about the outcome of the pregnancy.

I hope this helps.