Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I am 34 years old. I stopped taking oral birth control (ortho

I am 34 years old. I stopped taking oral birth control (ortho tri cyclen) 2 months ago. Since then I've gained 8 lbs on 112 lbs in 1 month's time, so currently weighing 120 lbs. the weight is concentrated on my belly, hips, and butt. I've consistently weighed 112 for 10+ years. Additionally, I'm a marathon runner and, at the time had not changed anything in my exercise program or the way I eat. To try to loose it, I've increased my runs and deceased my calories from around 1800 to 1000-1200/ day. After 3 weeks of eating less and running more I haven't lost even 1 lb. So, I've had my thyroid checked. It hasn't changed at all since the last time it was tested a year ago. My obgyn also did a day 3 Lh and Fsh blood test this week. He said the results were normal. Lh=7.3 and Fsh=6.5. Do you agree with the assessment of these results? I've read that an Lh result that is higher than the Fsh could indicate PCOS. If you're in agreement, can you give me any other possible things to check, as I really feel tat something steange is going on with my body?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

- Do you have regular periods? Have they been regular since you stoped the BC?

- Do you have or have you developed facial hair?

- What is your blood sugar level?

- What medicines, if any, are you on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Periods are have been fairly regular. I've only had 2, and the most recent was about 4-5 days early. I spot for about a week leading up to my period. No facial hair. My last blood sugar was taken 2 years ago and was 56. I take levithyroxine @ .075.
Beth,

Thank you for the additional information.

It is unlikely that going off of BC pills will cause weight loss. For most women, being on BC pills cause weight gain ( due to retention of fluid by the high level of progesterone) and going off the pills will eight cause no weight issues or cause weight loss.

Yes, A LH level higher than FSH at day3 does suggest PCOD. Normal the ratio of FSH:LH should be 1:1. In your case, although the LH is high , it is not significantly high. Please repeat the test after another month to see if the ratios has stabilized. If it has not , or if the LH level has increased further, please ask your Obgyn to evaluate you for PCOS.

In your case, it is possible that the level of TSH has increased and you need to adjust the dose of Levothyroxine. Since TSH is secreted by the same area of the pituitary gland that secretes FSH and LH, going off the BC pills can cause some amount of hormonal imbalance which can also affect the TSH level. This effect is usually temporary and stabilizes in about 3 months. But you do need to get your TSH level checked.

A repeat blood sugar level should also be done.

Please consult your doctor for these tests.

I hope this helps.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)