Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

Hi,My boyfriend and I are discerning marriage. He is a

Hi, My boyfriend and I are discerning marriage. He is a virgin and I am not. I have been celibate for a 4 year period and have been tested for STD's 5 times (once 6 months after becoming celibate, once 1 year after becoming celibate, and 3 recently after 4 years of celibacy). All test results have always come back negative and I have never had any symptom of an STD. My boyfriend is still concerned about contracting an STD, particularly HIV, and questions the reliability of such tests. All tests included testing for HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia. The more recent tests additionally checked for herpes, hpv, hepatitis B and C. Every test came back negative or non-reactive. My question is, can we trust the reliability of these tests, and have a safe intimate life in marriage, and what are the odds of these 5 sets of tests coming out negative being wrong?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

The tests for STDs are very reliable when done after the window time - that is the time taken for antibodies to appear in the blood after exposure.

The longest time for any STD is 1 year - that is for the HIV. if your are negative for HIV after 1 year, then you do not have the virus.

In your case, since the tests have come negative after 4 years of celibacy, it is certain hat you do not have any of these STDs.

Your boyfriend should have no cause for concern.

I hope this helps.