Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I have been on this Ask before on a different subject and wasnt

I have been on this Ask before on a different subject and wasn't happy because the Dr. was in a hurry and didn't seem to want to be bothered. I have a situation that I'd like to discuss..I am 51 yrs old. periods have been irregular for a year. breast pain, dryness, hair falling out. I have just recently had an ultrasound and told I have fibroids ..the reason for the visit was pressure on my bladder, pain, but no infections. I am self pay, but I do have a medical account for any issues, surgeries etc. I was told by this gyn to change my diet, and I'll feel better. this was my first visit to him. I don't know how big they are, or how many..he seemed to look at "no insurance" and suddenly got in a hurry. Even though I paid nearly 400 for the visit. and 200 on a previous visit with general Dr thinking it was bladder infection. Now I have so much anxiety over this as I feel like all I have is the internet for direction. Though I do plan on seeking another gyn tomorrow morning. I plan on telling this one about my medical account. my question today is, at 51 yrs old, I assume I am in the middle of pre menapause or peri..whichever that is..how much longer until I stop producing estrogen so these things will shrink? my quality of life has been for the last month horrible! no gym, can't hardly drive for the pain , pressure. I have changed my diet as this dr suggested to raw fruits and veggies only. he told me to come back in 4 months to see if they have grown. I can't live like this for 4 more months! is there actually a chance they will shrink by changing my diet? exercising? are there any natural rememdies that help at all? vitamins? should I have a hysterectomy? if it was your sister/wife/mother..what would you tell her?the anxiety along with pain is raising my blood pressure! please help
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

Fibrids do not need to be operated on if they do not cause symptoms. But in your case, they are causing pressure on the bladder. This indicates that they are probably quite large and need treatment.

Since Fibroids are estrogen dependent tumors, they generally shrink once the menopause occurs. In your case, since you are beginning the get the symptoms of menopause, the estrogen levels in your blood is probably already low. But you need to get blood tests for the levels of FSH and estrogen. This will give you an idea of roughly when you can expect the fibroids to shrink.

Changing the diet will not affect the fibroids.

Since you are having symptoms, I would suggest a myomectomy (removal of the fibroids) or hysterectomy in your case. It may take months or even years for the fibroids to shrink enough not to cause symptoms. They will not shrink in 4 months.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what is a myomectomy? and is it faster recovery? I have already been out of sorts for so long..I am looking for least invasive. is the myomectomy the one that can damage your bladder? I am very concerned about that..and I am concerned with recovery time at this point. I am alone with noone close to help while recovering. also I'd like to thank you about the blood test, I had no idea about that. If I go with a hysterectomy, is it possible to be able to be outside at least after a few days? with my estrogen already low, if I just have them removed is there a big chance they will grow back? thank you

A myomectomy is a surgery where only the fibroids are removed, not the uterus. The uterus remains intact. It takes less time with less complications. And no, it does not damage the bladder.

It can also be done by laparoscopy - pinhole surgery. In this case, recovery will be very fast and you will be out of the hospital in about 2 days.

A hysterectomy can also be done by laparosocpy and in this case too, you will be out of the hospital in about 2 days.

No, fibroids do not grow back. New ones sometimes develop from seedlings already present in the uterus, but in someone your age with impending menopause, you will not get new fibroids.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it does help very much thank you..one more thing I'd like to ask..my symptoms started 1 day before my last period..I didn't ask the Dr when I went and had ultrasound if the fibriods were pressing on my bladder,I just assumed it.. is it at all possible that this pressure could be related to menopause and not the fibroids? I will of course ask the new Dr I see..just wondering if that could be the case. thanks so much , you have armed me for my next visit!

No, menopause will not cause pressure on the bladder - the fibroids are probably in the anterior wall ( the wall in the front) of the uterus where it touches the bladder and this is causing the pressure.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)