Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

Hello, Hope youre all well. I suffer from OCD and ever

Hope you're all well. I suffer from OCD and ever since I read about Michael Douglas and possibly the HPV virus causing his throat cancer, I've been scared and obsessing. What I'm about to write about, I haven't thought about in many years. 21 years ago, I was about to perform oral sex on an acquaintance. He was a friend of a friend. I truly didn't know him well at all. We were in his car and I already had his penis in my mouth when I decided not to go through with it. I swear on all that is precious to me (my kids and grandchild), not we didn't finish the act. However, because of my OCD and after hearing this news today about Michael Douglas, although the act was not finished and he did not orgasm, what if a little fluid anyway escaped and now I'm at risk for a cancer like this. I know that everyone is at risk for something; we don't know what our future holds, but is this something I should be really concerned about; this HPV virus.

I always go to my yearly check-ups and so far so good. I've been going to the same GYN doctor for over twenty years, but I never told her that story, because frankly, I wasn't too concerned until I heard this news today. I've been one sex partner, my husband, for 21 years now. This incident happened shortly before my husband and I met.

My apologies if I sound crazy. Thanks so much.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

The chances of getting oral cancer form HPV infection is only about 5%. The risks are much higher in smoking. And women are much less likely to get this form of cancer.

There are many strains of HPV and all of them do not cause cancers. Only the strains 16 and 18 are considered high risk for oral and cervical cancers.

The HPV also tends to get eliminated by the body's immune system over the time. Since you have had not symptoms of HPV in all these years, chances are high that the virus has been removed by your immune system by now and it is very unlikely that you will get oral cancer.

I hope this helps.