Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I have a problem which has been going on for at least the last

I have a problem which has been going on for at least the last 5 months. I am having unusual discharge every day and some pain during sex. I have taken 2 full courses of thrush medication but this hasn't helped. I have been tested for BV too but I do not have it. I have been tested for stds but all results negative. Have had pap smear which came back fine. I have also been prescribed a course of metronidazole which had no effect. The doctor i've been seeing suggested a TV pelvic ultrasound, just incase I have pelvic inflamitory disease, but as I am currently on a gap year abroad this will cost me hundreds! There is no reason why I should I have pelvic inflamitory disease and I do not have many symptoms, so I am reluctant to pay so much for this procedure 'just incase'. Do you think this ultrasound is necessary, or could there be anything else I may have which I have not been tested for yet? Perhaps an allergy etc?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

What is your discharge like - whitish, brownish, clear, mucoid etc?

- Does it have any odor?

Does it occur every day in the menstrual cycle? When does it occur most?

Do you have bleelding after sex?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The discharge is thin and whitish. There is an odour which is sometimes strong. It occurs every day in my cycle, there doesn't seem to be a time when it occurs more than any other.

There is no bleeding after sex, just an uncomfortable feeling, a bit like burning, during.

The odor does suggest an infection. But it is possible that this infection is in the cervix and not a pelvic inflammatory disease.

Chronic cervicitis can occur at the mouth of the cervix - this can cause a thin whitish secretion with a bad odor. It can also cause pain during sex, including a back pain.

If you are on any hornome contraceptive, especially birth control pills, you could have developed a condition called cervical erosion. This is a change in the cells which causes them to become columnar with increased secretions. these cells are also vulnerable to infections.

A pap smear would not help show up these infections. You need a direct examinaiton of the cervix with a swab taken for a lab test.

If these tests do nto show any infeciton, then yes, you will need a pelvic ultrasound.

Please consult an Obgyn.

I hope this helps.