Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I am planning a pregnancy in about 6 months and I would love

I am planning a pregnancy in about 6 months and I would love to have twins. My supplement plan will be

Prenatal vitamin - every day
Folic Acid 5mg - every day
Soy Isoflavones 300mg CD 2 - CD 6
Red Clover Isoflavones 320mg CD 2 - CD 6
Evening Primrose Oil 1 Cap CD 1 - O
Royal Jelly 1 Cap CD 1 - O
Cassava Root 6 per day

The iso's and cassava root should promote multiple eggs to mature. What I am wanting to add at about CD 13 or 14 would be something similar to a HCG Trigger. Since no hcg is made naturally in food, I was then thinking about a LH simulator such as Tribulus.

My question is, how many mg of tribulus should I ingest to mimic a HCG trigger shot to release multiple eggs? Any extra information that you may have regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Tank you.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I am Dr.Mazumdar and I hope I'm able to help you with your medical problem today.

Despite many claims made by makers of Tribulus supplements, a recent study has not shown any effect on the LH hormone. You can read the study here:

- Study

The standard dose of Tribulus is a dose of between 200-450mg a day. But it is difficult to comment if this dose will help trigger an LH surge.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr,

You provided me a link to a study which discusses the use of Tribulus is males and muscle building :(

Though I have read a number of articles that state that Tribulus, though weak, stimulates FSH, LH Eostrodiol.

If Tribulus is difficult to comment on regarding LH surges and recommended daily doses - although I was asking for a recommended dose for a trigger shot - similar to a hcg shot (hucog eg) which would normally be prescribed at 5,000 or 10,000 IU - could you please advise on other foods/herbs or medications (not restricted as I am from Australia and am unable to obtain proven fertility drugs without drs scripts) that may stimulate LH (largely) to cause hyper ovulation.

Cheers. Much appreciated.
Christie,

Although the study I mentioned is about males and muscle building, you will note that the level of LH levels in these males were measured before and after taking Tribulus and the study shows that the level does not increase the level of this supplement in the blood. This is what I was pointing at.

A supplement which is believed to increase LH secretion form the pituitary gland is D-Aspartic Acid (DAA). But this also stimulates release of other hormones like growth hormone and FSH.

Another is Acetyl L Carnitine.

These are both amino acids and taking a supplement of amino acids will help. This should be available at any pharmacy in Australia - the pharmacist will know.

I hope this helps.