Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

Hi doctor, Im on my second day of my period and currently

Hi doctor, I'm on my second day of my period and currently on jasmine, now I have sharp pain on lower right side that gets worse when I walk I took two tylanols and the pain seems to settle down a bit, what could it be?

Welcome and thank you for your question.

If this is the first time that you are having this type of pain during the period, then it is unlikely to be related to the period. Since the pain has settled after taking tylenol, it is more likely to be due to a muscular pain - possibly one of the deeper muscles is sprained. Muscular pain also becomes worse on any activity like walking. The fact that it has occurred during the period can be coincidental.

If you get this type of pain during every period, then it can be due to a condition called endometroiosis - a condition in which small bits of the endometrium (inner lining of the uterus) grow outside the uterus. These bleed during the periods to cause pain.

If you you do not get the pains again, it is unlikely to be endometriosis.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have had problems with ovarian cyst and endometriosis and my doctor kept them under control with birth control pills which have worked so far, until this pain that surfaced again, now I'm feeling much better after Tylenol, so do you think it's the same sickness flaring up again or is just the muscle pain like you said? I'm a bit concern and scared of the whole thing returning.
A pain in a single cycle would not suggest a flaring up of the endometriosis. Also, pain due to endometriosis would not settle down very easily with tylenol. So chances are that this is not due to endometriosis.

But if you get a similar pain in your next period, then you will need to consult your doctor for another evaluation.

I hope this helps.