Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I had an ultrasound and the report said: left adnexal mass,

I had an ultrasound 3/13/13 and the report said: left adnexal mass, 5.5x5.1x4.4 cm, with relatively homogeneous echoes, slight heterogeneity, and no hyperemia with doppler. Small amount of free fluid present. I was confirmed pregnant at that time, but it was not an ectopic pregnancy. I'm no longer pregnant. I went to see a gyno 5/7/13 and she didn't have these records yet. She did a pap smear and said I had an "angry cervix" that started to bleed lightly when she took the sample during the pap. She was supposed to get the records from the hospital regarding the ultrasound and then get back to me. It's been over a week and I haven't heard from her. I'd like a little information regarding what the vaginal ultrasound results could possibly mean and if I should be trying to push the medical process along faster.

I do have very occasional pain on the left side of my abdomen, as if I'm having light cramps. It's nothing I'd be worried about if not for this mass they found.

Welcome and thank you for the question.

The ultrasound report indicates that you have an ovarian tumor - this is a solid tumor, not a cyst. The slight heterogeneity indicates that it could be a dermoid - this is a benign tumor but still needs to be surgically removed.

The 'no hyperemia' is a good sign - it means that there is no excessive blood flow in the tumor. Excessive blood flow is a sign of a malignant tumor.

While you probably have a benign tumor which does not need immediate treatment, you do need to see if you can get the Obgyn to see the reports as early as possible. The earlier the tumor is confirmed as benign, the better.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you! My OBGYN said something about a risk of the ovary twisting. I have no idea what that's about, but the tumor sounds big to someone not experienced in medicine. Because it's a tumor, I'm curious to know if that means I'd have to have it surgically removed. I was hoping it was a cyst, as I know there's alternate treatment for cysts.
The ultrasound says that it is a tumor, not a cyst - so yes, it needs to be surgically removed. A cyst does not always need to be removed as it may regress spontaneously at times.

Ovarian tumors do get twisted and if that happens , it needs emergency treatment.

And yes, a tumor which is 5.5 cm is on the larger side and does carry the risk of getting twisted.