Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I never been pregnant before. This will be the first time

I never been pregnant before. This will be the first time trying.. my lab test came with a low level of estrogen of 68, my doctor wrote a following note on the report "Your estrogen is low,close postmenopausal range".. Should I expect a severe difficulty conceiving?
Im 36ysr old, planning to start a family next year..
Please advice,
Rodriguez
all other test (testoterone) and lipid came back normal, as well PAP
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

I assume that you got the test on the 3rd day of the menstrual cycle. Did you get a test for teh FSH level as well? What did the report say?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the test on the 10th, my period is normal (and always been regular)on the 18/19. Its had been a bit weird seemS I inserted a mirena (feb 2012) before i got tested. what FSH stands for?.
Thank you for the additional information.

A test on Day3 will be more accurate than on Day10.

I don't understand why you had the Mirena inserted if you were planning to get pregnant, but it will not affect the estrogen level.

The FSH is a hormone produced by the pituitary gland. Its levels rise at or around the time of the menopause - the FSH level is more diagnostic of premenopause.

A regular period usually indicates regular ovulation and if you are ovulating regularly, you should have no problem getting pregnant. You can ask your Obgyn for a test called Clomiphene Challenge test (CCT) which will help identify if you have healthy follicles in the ovary which can be stimulated to help you get pregnant.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said, I am planning to start a family next year (we are getting married in June 2014)that:s why I inserted the mirena, but in the meantime,we want to use this time to see if we are "in good shape" to conceive.
so what"s a the "healthy "level of FSH? how common is the menopause in females on my age?
The age of menopause depends on genetics - if your mother and her sisters got their menopause at around the age of 50 years, you will too. But generally, the common age of menpause is between 50-55 years. It is wuote uncommon at 36 years.

The FSH levels in the early thirties is around 7mIU/ML. At around the time of menopause, it increases and at menopause it remains above 40. A level of less than 15 is usually considered good as far as fertility is concerned.

I hope this helps.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)