Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

I have been on Orsynthia for 10 months now. I never missed

I have been on Orsynthia for 10 months now.

I never missed a day of taking the pill, but don't always take the pill at the same time. Generally, I take it at 8:30, but have taken it as late as noon.

This month, I took it late a few days (at 11 and at noon). I was sexually active and did not use alternative birth control.

On Sunday, I started the inactive pills. On Monday, late morning, I started bleeding. It was bright red, like normal period blood. However it started and stopped quickly. On Tuesday, I didn't bleed at all. On Wednesday, I had brownish blood. On Thursday, I had nothing.

How can I tell whether a period is actually not a period, but actually spotting while being pregnant?

Welcome and thank you for the question.

Spotting during pregnancy does not cause a heavy bleed - the pad will be stained or just barely soaked.The bleeding is usually of a pinkish /brownish and decreases in a day or two.

In a normal period, the bleeding is heavier, less on the first day, increasing over the next two days and then decreasing. You will pass small blood clots or tissue in the blood.

Form your description, this is more likely to be a period, but you really need to take a pregnancy test after 16 days of the sexual intercourse to rule out a pregnancy.

I hope this helps.