Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

Hi, my girl friend had her period 2 weeks ago and we had an

Hi, my girl friend had her period 2 weeks ago and we had an accident last Saturday. Today she did a pregnancy test and it showed positive? Can this be? isn't that way too early? I am worried she is trying to conn me

Welcome and thank you for your question.

If fertilization occurs after a sexual episode, then the pregnancy test will come positive after 12- 14 days - that is after the embryo has implanted ( at around 9 days) and the corpus luteum in the ovary starts producing the hormone HCG.

The test cannot come positive this soon - within 1 week.

Also, if the pregnancy test has come positive, then it is very likely that the period that she had 2 weeks ago was not a real period but implantation bleeding - in which case, the pregnancy would be the result of a sexual episode earlier than that.

I hope this helps.