Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I am postmenopausal, but every month I get the symtoms of

I am postmenopausal, but every month I get the symtoms

of ovulating, bloating and extream fatigue. I can not work

because this fatique can last for 3 to 4 days. I also get

low back pain, and a fuzzy brain.

Welcome adn thank you for your question.

- When did you become menopausal? in years? Have you had these symptoms since then or have they started recently?

- What medicines are you currently on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went through menopause about 6 yrs ago. I have had these symtoms since then.

I am taking celixa, clonzapen and trazadone

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is next ?

Anne,

Thank you for your additional informaiton.

There may be occasional ovulation with all its symptoms after the menopause. But this is usually within the first 1-2 years after menopause and should not continue till 6 years.

The cyclical nature of the symptoms however do suggest a hormonal issue, although not ovulation.

The symptoms of ovulation are caused by a high estrogen level. You need to get blood tests at around the time the symptoms occur to determine if you do have a high estrogen level at this time. Tests for FSH and LH will also help.

An ultrasound at this time will also indicate whether there is growth of any follicle in the ovaries.

If none of these reports suggest ovulation, then your symptooms are likely to be due to some other cause which is probably not hormonal.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my gyn took blood tests about 8 months ago, he said I had enough estrogen.

He aslo did a ultrasound to check out my overies. I overies were no longer passing any eggs?

If the ultrasound shows that your ovaries are no longer ovulating then your symptoms are not due to ovulation. To cause ovulation symptoms once a month, you will need to ovulate.

The likeliest cause for the symptoms is a psychosomatic problem - the cyclical physical and emotional changes which occur during a menstrual cycle can be repeated by the body even when ther eis no corresponding cyclical hormonal changes.

Please ask your gyn to repeat the estrogne and FSH test once when you are having the symptoms and again after about 14 days (when you would have got your periods). if the estorgne levels are similar at both the these times, then this is definitely not hormonal.

I hope this helps.