Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

After I had my first child I had a near fatal issue with malignant

After I had my first child I had a near fatal issue with malignant hypertension and PRES Syndrome. This was almost 2 years ago. I just found out I am pregnant again and I am so scared. What the the possibilities of these symptoms happening again to me and if so what are my chances of surviving them the second time?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

How many days after the childbirth did the malignant hypertension and PRES develop?

What was your BP during the pregnancy? Were you hypertensive from the beginning of the pregnancy? If not, at which week did it occur?

What is your BP now?

Do you have a history of high BP in your family?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have a history of high bp in my family. During my pregnancy my bp stayed at about 116/60 (up and down a few numbers). I didn't have any problems until after I had my son. I started getting a bad headache 3 days after he was born but I didn't go into the E.R. until he was 12 days old and that is when by bp was 160/102. I stayed in the hospital for 16 days and the worst that I can remember my bp getting was 200/120 but I was put on morphine and delauded so my memory is a bit fuzzy. They caught the PRES after about a week of me being in the hospital and I was transferred to a different hospital and they did a CAT Scan. I was also tested for meningitis but that came back negative. I was changed hospitals because my lungs started filling up with fluid and I couldn't breathe. Let me know if you need any more information please.

Lynda,

What you had was a condition known as Postpartum Eclampsia with PRES. It is not a very common condition, pre-eclampsia during pregnancy being commoner.

Postpartum Eclampsia usually occurs within 48 hours of childbirth but can sometimes occur a few days later but not later than 6 weeks.

The risk of developing pre-eclampsia durin a second pregnancy following pre-eclampsia in the first pregnancy ( whether during pregnancy or after childbirth) is quite high. The incidence is about 14-15%, compared to 1% in a woman without a history of eclampsia in her first pregnancy.

Since you are now pregnant, you will need to be very careful and keep a sharp eye on your BP. The chances of the BP rising around the 20th week are high. At this time, you will also need a urine test to check for proteins.

It is unlikely that your condition will become as serious as it was during the first pregnancy, since both you and the doctors will be aware and will know what to look out for.

I hope this helps.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)