Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

I have just had an abnormal pap, stating ASC-H, I have never

I have just had an abnormal pap, stating ASC-H, I have never had an abnormal pap in my life (age 68) freaking out. I am also on biodential hormone (pellets) on for 8 months. Is this something I should be concerned with? I have rescheduled another pap next month.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Hi

Dr. Owen : Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Dr. Owen : Hello
Dr. Owen : Unlikely this is something to sorry about as this is probably JUST a dysplasia (precancer) and NOT a cancer.
Dr. Owen : But this is something that you DO need to get evaluated and treated.
Dr. Owen : And if this is a moderate to severe dysplasia the treatment would be a possible LEEP (to remove a portion of the cervix) - but it might be BETTER for you to have a Hysterectomy so that the spread of the dysplasia to not go further and develop into a cancer.
Dr. Owen : SO, Please try not to worry and More than likely this will be fine
Dr. Owen :

Instead of a PAP - I would suggest what is known as a colposcopy - this is like a PAP except we LOOK at the cervix with a microscope to check and sometimes we do a very Small biopsy to send to a pathologist to check for any precancerous cells.

Dr. Owen :

I hope this elps

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

Please if you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Owen :

hi

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask - just type in the box and click on Reply to ask

Dr. Owen :

If no more questions - please click on EXCELLENT - this is near the smile face - thank you

Dr. Owen :

Dr owen

Customer:

Do the hormones I am on have any effect on this?

Dr. Owen :

No, your hormones do not have an effect on this

Dr. Owen :

this is not a hormonal effect on the cervix, unlike the uterus

Dr. Owen :

so, this is usually due to a virus called HPV - Human Papilloma Virus

Customer:

Is this an indication of an HPV?

Dr. Owen :

so it is Important to get this further evaluated like I suggested and If you have this dysplasia - I would suggest either a LEEP or a hysterectomy so that you do not get cancer

Dr. Owen :

Yes it is an indication of HPV

Dr. Owen :

You could have gotten HPV within the past few year or even Decades ago -

Dr. Owen :

so hard to say when you got HPV infection

Customer:

OMG this really concerns me. After all these years.

Dr. Owen :

do not be concerned

Dr. Owen :

this is why PAP smears are done - to PREVENT cancer and to check for dysplasias

Dr. Owen :

so please do not be concerned about this

Dr. Owen :

we CAN treat Dysplasia very easily

Customer:

Thank you so much, but it is really difficult for me not to worry. I will do my best.

Dr. Owen :

you really will

Dr. Owen :

but once you get through the evaluation and treatment you will realize you will be fine

Dr. Owen :

I understand

Dr. Owen :

I wish you the best

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

Thank you for taking time to answer my question. I will be happy to click excellent

Dr. Owen :

:-)

Dr. Owen :

Have a great afternoon

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate