Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

Is there a reason why I get pimple around my genital area?

Is there a reason why I get pimple around my genital area? Usually around the lip of my vulva area. It happens once a month or so after I got pregnant. I'm 25 weeks now. It sometimes popped when I wipe and I'm so afraid of infection. But usually once it popped and the pus is gone, it'll heal in a day or two. Should I be concerned or what I can do to prevent it?

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Pimples occur when the duct of a sebaceous glands gets blocked and the secretions collect inside it. During pregnancy, these secretions increase in amount under the effect of hormones and sebaceous gland ducts can get blocked more frequently. this is normal in many women.

Once childbirth has occurred, the frequency of pimples in the genital area will go down and probably will never occur again.

Pimples in the genital area during pregnancy is not a cause for concern - you need do nothing about it. If you do get one, apply a warm pack for about 10 minutes twice a day - it will pop spontaneously. Please do not pop it yourself as it may cause infections.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It rarely happen to me before I got pregnant. Is there anything I should do about it after it popped? Or just wipe the blood and leave it alone.
Wipe the blood and then apply a little Neosporin ointment - this will prevent an infection.