Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

Is my heavy bleeding between periods normal?

I am wondering if my heavy, bright red vaginal bleeding (between periods) is normal? I have been bleeding all day, and just went through a super tampon in 3 hours. I believe it is around my time of ovulation; I got my period around 10 days back.   

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for the question.

Heavy bleeding between the periods os definitely not normal. Sometimes ovulaiton bleeding can occur at around 14 days from the last period - but this is generally light bleeding or spotting which clears up in a day or two.

This is more likely to be a hormonal imbalance or due to conditions like uterine polyps or fibroids.

If you are bleeding heavy enough to soak through a super tampon in 2-3 hours or less, you need to go to the ER - you are bleeding too much.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply-- is there any chance it's a tear in the vagina? I'd really appreciate a quick response.

If you had sex and the bleeding started within 12-24 hours after that, then yes, this can be a tear in the vagina. And vaginal tears can bleed a lot, enough to soak through supersize tampons. You will need to go to the ER for a repair of the tear.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did have sex around 12 hours before the bleeding.

If the bleeding seems to have slowed in the past 2 hours, do you think it is okay if I wait and see before going to the ER?

At this point I would say I've lost about 2-tampons worth of blood over the course of the day-- not more than that. In the past hour or so, bleeding seems to have eased up.

Is there any danger in waiting until the morning?

If teh bleeding is easing up, yes, you can wait.

Apply a cold pack to the vulva - this can help constrict blood vessels and decrease bleeding.

If the bleeding increases at any time, please go to the ER.

But you will need to consult a doctor for checkup since infection can occur easily in the tear.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you-- one last question: I had a few pangs of abdominal pain earlier in the day, a mild cramping sensation throughout the day, and a bit of (perhaps unrelated) discomfort in my stomach. Would these symptoms be consistent with a tear?

No, these symptoms are not due to a tear - although the mild cramping pain may be from the uterus due to a radiating discomfort from the tear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's actually hard to tell if the bleeding has eased up.

There is still bright red blood coming out; it's not gushing or anything, but I suppose it would never really gush.... I am still bleeding.

I would have a LOT of trouble getting to the emergency room at this point, but I also don't want to lose too much blood overnight potentially. If you were me, what would you do? Do I go to sleep and wait until morning, or find way to get to the ER?

If I were you, I would get to the ER somehow.

Bright red blood coming out means that you have active bleeding and you may lose a lot of blood if you delay going to the ER.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)