Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I had my son 7 1/2 months ago and ever since have had significant

I had my son 7 1/2 months ago and ever since have had significant pain during intimacy making it impossible.

I had 3 large tears inside. At my 6 week check up I was given an estrogen cream to try to help speed healing. I went back to a doctor around 5 months still having a lot of pain and at that point had an infection (I don't know what kind) around the opening. I was given penicillin which cleared that up. Now at 7 1/2 months I am still having significant pain during intercourse. It feels like I am being stuck with a hot poker.

During a doctors visit the Gyn told me this was "normal" and might be something I just had to deal with. But this seems very abnormal to me and I need help.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your quesiton.

Significant pain after more than 7 months after a deliery is not normal. It is likely that the tears healed badly leaving the vaginal tissues irregular and possibly scarred. infeciton would cause the scarring to get worse. Scarring can also cause the vagina to become narrow so that penetraiton can be very painful.

Please consult an Obgyn again, preferably a different one to the one who conducted the delivery - you need to be examined again. If you have dense scars, it is also possible that you may need a minor surgery to help remove them. Using vaginal dilators may help to widen the vagina.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So is this something that would be able to fixed? What am I looking at here? If the scarring is not deep enough to warrant surgery am I just stuck dealing with this until my body heals itself?

Samantha,

Yes, this is something which can be fixed.

You are probably looking at scarred tissue or narrowing of the vagina. The first line of treatment would be a course of estrogne cremas to help make the tissues ( and scars) more supple together wilh regular vaginal dilations with graduated dilators. These can be bought online. You should see a definite change for the better in about 3 months.

If this does nto work, then you may need surgery.

I hope this helps.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)