Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)

My surrogate has developed PUPPP. Is this common? Her OB

My surrogate has developed PUPPP.
Is this common?
Her OB has given her oral stereoids -- isnt this dangerous for the child?
She is in the 22 week.
Does the rash normaly go away or does it stay until birth?
Any other idea what might help that is not a oral steroid?
Thnx and have a great day!

Welcome and thank you for the question.

PUPPP is a very common feature of pregnancy. The exact cause is unknown but is believed to be due to the excessive stretching of the skin in pregnancy.

If the PUPPP is mild. locally applied moisturisers , wet soaks, cool, soothing baths etc are usually enough to control the rash. In more severe cases, steroid creams may be needed. Oral steroids are prescribed only when the PUPPP is quite severe.

Steroid use in pregnancy is usually safe. They need to be prescribed in a wide variety of causes in pregnancy such as preterm labor. When prescribed in the first trimester, they may cause cleft lip. Since your surrogate is 22 weeks now, it is safe.

The rash normally clears up within 1 week after delivery although it may take longer in some women.

The standard treatment of PUPPP are steroids. Antihistaminics may be given but are not very effective.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.. It is my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me by clicking on OK Service or above - it is only the way I get credit for helping you. Leaving a Bonus will be greatly appreciated.