Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

On Monday I started what I think is a UTI. Burning urination,

On Monday I started what I think is a UTI. Burning urination, frequency, relieved by a hot water bottle and loads of water. I had a repeat antibiotics script from a UTI in January, so have been taking those. However, today I woke up with the burning pee symptoms gone, but then a very intense burning pain just inside the entrance of my vagina. Frequent and burning peeing returned throughout the day, but the vaginal pain was aggravated by sitting on a log. Now its painful to sit at all. Not sure what is going on? Have I developed an allergy to the antibiotics? I don't seem to have developed thrush as yet, unless this is a really nasty version?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

What antibiotics are you on and at what dose?

Do you have any vaginal discharge?

Any pain during sex?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! The antibiotics were penicilin (sp) - cephalexin 550mg. 4 a day, I do have vaginal discharge, it was on the garlic suppository when I removed it, white and greenish. I have not been having sex, since I assume that is what brought on the infection. I have been married for 20 years so its unlikely to be an STD? Do you know of anything that can relieve the burning? Yoghurt wasn't great!

Thank you for the added information.

It is likely that you have developed an infection known as Bacterial Vaginosis (BV). This is not an STD but occurs due to a overgrowth of bacteria like gardnerella. Gardnerella is a normal bacteria of the vagina but under certain conditions when the ph of the vagina changes, it can grow too much and cause inflammation of the vaginal walls. This will cause pain.

A common cause of Gardnerella overgrowth is use of antibiotics. Antibiotics can kill off healthy bacilli of the vagina like lactobacilli which keeps the ph normal.

Treatment s with antibiotics like metronidazole or tinidazole which prevents overgrowth.

A greenish vaginal discharge is seen in a an STD called trchomoniasis. This condition can not only cause pain but also itching of the vagina. Although you have been married for a long time, if metronidazole dose not help decrease the pain, you will need to get this checked out.

To decrease the burning, you can use a vaginal moisturiser like Replens, available without a prescription - it will decrease the dryness and inflammation to some extent. You can also take an oral anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.. It is my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me by clicking on OK Service or above - it is only the way I get credit for helping you. Leaving a Bonus will be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX vaginitis cause vaginal burning? and the frequent urination? Would trchomoniasis?

Or do I have a UTI as well? I don't normally take a lot of antibiotics but this year I had right lung pneumonia, for which I had to take a lot of penicillin ( bad year).

Do I keep taking the antibiotics for the UTI and follow the course through? I have Norfloxacin, which is a fluoroquinolone, for complicated UTI's would that do the trick for BV, or do I have to take other antibiotics as well?

namaste

Bacterial vaginitis would not cause frequent urination although it may cause vaginal burning. Trichominiasis may cause both burning and frequent urination.

It is quite possible that you have a UTI as well. Possibly the cipro has not been effective for you. But please don't stop it halfway through - you will devleop resistance to the drug and will not be able to use it later on if you require to do so for any reason.

It would be best if you saw a doctor for a vaginal swab for an accurate identification of the cause of your symptoms before you started any more medications.

If this is BV, cipro or Norfloxacin will not help - you will need to take metronidazole or tinidazole.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful! The yoghurt did actually work for a while, then, in the last couple of hours, whilst I was teaching, the burning spread all through my vagina. Now it feels itchy as well. There are also cracks on the vulva. Could it be a really nasty case of thrush brought on by the use of antibiotics?

namaste

Yes, it could. Thrush can cause burning, itching as well as a dry vulva - and dryness can cause crack to form.

Please use Monistat and see if it helps.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)