Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I have never removed my pubic hair but I did tonight using

I have never removed my pubic hair but I did tonight using Nair. It wasn't painful at all. After I rinsed it off i used a mirror to make sure I got it all and noticed something strange (at least to me) On the right side of my vagina i have four whitish bumps. Since this was the first time I removed all my hair in that area, it was the first time in the area, and i noticed 4 white flattert bumbs just on the right side.
Can you tell me what you think might be happening? and what treatments would be involved? btw I am 54 femail. thank you for your help
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for the question.

Since you had a Pap smear with precancerous cells, it is very likely that you have an infection with HPV - Human Papilloma Virus. Infection with HPV can cause the cervical cells to undergo precancerous changes.

This virus also cause genital warts. So these whitish flat bumps can be genital warts.

Another cause for these bumps could be enlarged sebaceous glands.

But you really need to get these checked out - if they are really genital warts, you can get them cauterized or frozen by cryotherapy. Application with certain creams or lotions like podophyllin can also help remove these growths.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.. It is my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me by clicking on OK Service or above - it is only the way I get credit for helping you. Leaving a Bonus will be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX want to make sure I explained that I used Nair on my Labia Majora and this is where I found the spots. Also my husband gave me herpes but this is nothing like a breakout that I have experienced before. There is no itching, redness or pain. I don't have insurance so I wanted to make sure before I spend money to go to the doctor that it is something I need to get checked out. If they are warts is it imperative that I get it treated? I didn't even know I had this until I removed the hair, so I was in no discomfort. Is there a chance this could resolve on its own? But if there is a chance this could develop into something serious I will go.

Terry,

Genital Warts will not cause any itching, redness or pain. But unless they are unsightly or are causing discomfort, it is not necessary to get them treated. Very often, the warts remain as they are for years without causing any problems , other than cosmetic ones.

The warts will not change into cancer - The types of HPV that cause warts do not usually cause cell changes that develop into cancer. Some small warts resolve on their own But they most do not. They will either remain as they are or grow larger in size - they will not change into something serious.

Treatment is necessary to prevent the warts from getting larger or to decrease the rate of spread to your partner or to prevent symptoms like itching or pain which may sometimes occur.. If you have been with your partner for quite some time, then chances are that he already has HPV.

In your case, since you are in no discomfort and the warts are not large, you do not need treatment right away but you can keep an eye on them and check to see that they are not increasing in size. If they do, treatment may become necessary.

I hope this helps.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)