Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

2 years ago I was told that I have HPV. Since then I have

2 years ago I was told that I have HPV. Since then I have received various treatments--freezing etc. Over the past few months I have experienced pain when wiping my behind and would frequently see blood. I also felt some bumps around my anus. When I went to a doctor, he looked at the bumps and said that he thought they were warts, but asked me if I wanted to get them tested to be sure. At the time I decline and I just assumed the worst. But, now that I think about it, it has been my understanding that HPV warts are painless and that it is more likely hemorrhoids. So my question is, it is possible that my doctor misdiagnosed me? Are HPV warts painful when wiping? Whats the best treatment?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

certainly sounds like you may have hemorrhoids.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I would hope that your doctor could tell the difference between hemorrhoids and warts though.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

warts are typically not painful.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

however with repetetive friction or stretching they can bleed and become sensitive.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the easiest treatment is aldara, which is a cream that can be applied at home...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but you have to be careful because if you get it on normal skin it will burn.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

an alternative is to have them lasered off.

Customer:

I attempted to apply condylox but it was far too painful

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you might consider trying tucks pads and preparation H to see if the symptoms subside somewhat or not.

Customer:

is freezing effective in that area?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it can be...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I know some people try the OTC freeze stuff with mixed results...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

might work though

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I think it's compound w freeze or something along that line

Customer:

Tomorrow I was going to ask my doctor to freeze them off with liquid nitrogen. Is this a good treatment?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

worth a shot...and you'll find out if they are warts or hemorrhoids for sure..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if you have significant pain they are probably hemorrhoids.

Customer:

haha. That's one way to find out.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

although this is a very sensitive area, application only to the wart should produce only mild, if any discomfort.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

not ideal...I agree

Customer:

Okay. Thanks for your help.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sure...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and good luck tomorrow.

Customer:

THanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

please take the time to rate my service...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

welcome

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor