Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

I was on depo off and on for the past 10 yrs. I got pregnant

I was on depo off and on for the past 10 yrs. I got pregnant on the pill with my daughter. During the entire time I ALWAYS got my period right before it was time to get my next shot. Even tho it was mostly just spotting I never didn't get it. That is how I always knew to check for when my next shot was due so I didn't miss it. Also a few times I had went off of it bc I was single and didn't do anything to need to be on it. Anytime I went off of it I always immediately got my period and it was a normal period. Well this past time I was on it, it was prob for maybe 3 yrs nonstop. Same pattern, always spotted before my next shot. I know I'm sounding very redundant but I want to be sure you know. This very last time I did not spot even a little bit. It was nothing. Not even cloudy or dirty looking discharge. I ended up missing my scheduled depo shot due on part to my job, a snow storm, and a bit of procrastination. So I've currently been off the depo roughly a month. My depo window was between Feb 20- march 6. I have yet to get anything. On top of that I have become extremely nauseous most days lately. I've taken 4 preg tests. 1 never came up and the other 3 were neg. I have mentioned my concerns to 2 seperate gynos and both dismiss me claiming depo causes you to not get periods even tho that's not the norm for me. I have read that being on depo can cause false neg preg tests. I would prob dismiss it if it weren't for the persistent nausea and the fact that I got preg on the pill. Although with the depo I am way more careful when I'm on antibiotics and make sure I'm on time and don't miss a shot. I'm still concerned bc of my symptoms bit since both Gynos dismissed it I haven't gotten a blood test bc they don't feel I need one since its such a slim to none chance of getting preg on depo. I even went to the health department but they don't give blood tests. What do you think?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

depo is really strong stuff.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and we don't typically keep women on it more than 2 years.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

depo can suppress ovulation up to 16 months after stopping it...so that's why your gynos aren't that surprised....

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that and taking into consideration a negative pregnancy test.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the symptoms you are having....are consistent with pregnancy, but not usually until 5-10 weeks or so..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and if you were that far along the urine tests would be positive.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it's more likely your having these symptoms due to hormonal changes as your body adjusts to not having the depo suppressing it.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So, I agree..pregnancy is unlikely.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I don't see a big problem in doing a blood test in my patients to help ease their minds...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so for me, that seems like a fairly simple thing to do to help answer a patient's question.

Customer:

i thought so too but they both seemed like it was silly of me to even ask.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes, I get that impression by your post.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I don't know why that would be a big deal...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

especially when we know not having a period can be from the lingering affect of the depo...it too can be caused by pregnancy (of course).

Customer:

I am only concerned because I did get pregnant on the pill so of course I'm slightly concerned plus i am on other medication that isn't recommended if I'm pregnant

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...that's definitely something you should discuss with your doctor.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

there are certain medication, particularly those for acne, that recommend 2 forms of contraception because the risk of birth defects.

Customer:

I know plus I have always gotten something so even tho depo generally stops periods for most ppl it never did for me ever. So thats a concern as well

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes, i see

Dr. Pfeiffer :

there can be differences just between circumstances of your daily life...

Customer:

I am on adderall and omneprazole ( think thats how its spelled) and my family dr never said they can affect it

Dr. Pfeiffer :

weight, exercise, diet, etc

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...the omeprazole is fine.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

adderall isn't terrible, but we typically prefer a woman not to be on it if she can function without it.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it may cause growth problems rather than birth defects.

Customer:

My weight isn't any different, I don;t exercise any different, my diet is the same, and I'm no more stressed out than normal

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's ok...just giving you an example

Customer:

idk I'm sure I'm just worried for no reason but I would like to just be sure but it seems like no one wants to help me be sure. I even went to the health dept today to see if I could get a blood test done but of course they don't do blood tests

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

when was the last time you had sex?

Customer:

2 weeks maybe but this has been going on for at least 6 weeks I would say

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so here's where I was going with that...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if you have a conservative 21 days since intercourse (some would even go as short as 19 days)..the urine pregnancy is absolutely reliable...nearly 99%

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, I doubt you are pregnant....

Customer:

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but, if you wanted to be certain, repeat a urine test in 1 week with the first void of the day and that result would be very reliable.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

or....continue to try to get a blood test which would be accurate now.

Customer:

well then if I'm not preg and it is just the hormones of going off the depo then how long will I have to deal with this nausea

Dr. Pfeiffer :

probably a couple of weeks.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

usually what happens is you grow an ovariancy cyst the increases the estrogen levels....

Dr. Pfeiffer :

same thing that can cause it to happen in pregnancy.

Customer:

well its been about a couple weeks. I'm waiting for them to get back with me about the merana and whether my insurance covers it and how much.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if it isn't placed during your period, we do pregnancy tests the day of or day before insertion.

Customer:

i hope it goes away soon. i just don't remember going thru this any other time I went off of it

Customer:

ok well thats good

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I wish I had a better explanation as to why that happend.

Customer:

I also just found out I had an abnormal pap and I also have HPV. None of that could be any cause of any of this is it?

Customer:

Just making sure

Customer:

my pap results came back fine tho

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no...and depo doesn't cause false negative pregnancy tests (forgot to mention that)

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...that's important to know because an abnormal pap test is a relative contraindication to placing Mirena

Customer:

ok I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet.

Customer:

lol

Dr. Pfeiffer :

nope....

Dr. Pfeiffer :

a lot is written by people with no credentials to do so.

Customer:

ok so are you saying I shouldn't get it since I had an abnormal pap bc I asked and I was told it would be fine

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you said the pap test was normal...you're good to go.

Customer:

yes it came back normal. I just have to go thru the precautions of every 6 months since I was pos for HPV

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok

Customer:

my dr explained to me that HPV is super common. I was originally concerned bc you always hear HPV means cancer first then STD second but she assured me that it is very common like chicken pox or mono. its just a virus I have that may or may not cause any problems down the road

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes....all accurate

Customer:

ok. i still hate the word STD tho and I think that really bothers my boyfriend.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes, that part carries a negative connotation...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but it isn't considered the same STD like chlamydia, gonorrhea or HIV

Customer:

he keeps asking if its possible that it was a false positive test. lol

Dr. Pfeiffer :

simply how it's tranmitted

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no...

Customer:

thats what she explained but its still feels dirty

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the test checks for DNA of the virus

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and...I'll tell you it is very likely your boyfriend was previously exposed...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

we just don't test men

Customer:

I told him I wasn't possible. Its just a concern not because either of us plans on breaking up but the what if factor is always there and then what if its transmitted to some one else.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that happens all the time

Dr. Pfeiffer :

mostly men to women...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

because everyone is without symptoms

Dr. Pfeiffer :

usually the abnormal pap test is how it's found

Customer:

yes thats what my dr explained. That both of us more than likely have had it for years since we are both in our 30s and have slept with more than each other

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes, exactly

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so there should be no finger pointing for sure.

Customer:

there isn't finger pointing just concern

Dr. Pfeiffer :

good

Customer:

I'm glad i'm getting the exact same information that she gave me. it eases my mind better

Dr. Pfeiffer :

good deal...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...I gotta get going...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

anything else real quick?

Customer:

ok thank you for your time and i'll try one more test in the morning and i'll take that as what it is

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...and if you have further questions just come back the ob/gyn category and request me...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thanks and please take the time to rate my service.

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sure...you're welcome

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor