Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

Hi There, I have a question that is regarding mu unexplained

Hi There, I have a question that is regarding my unexplained infertility. We have been TTC for almost 3 years, and the only thing that is wrong (and this depends on which doctor you ask) is that I have *mild* PCOS. My husband and I tried IVF and although we had a huge success with the hormone stimulation, we didn't get a baby from it (Got the eggs, got the fertilization - they just didn't "stick"). My question is whether I could use the leftover Gonal F I have in my fridge to stimulate my eggs and TTC naturally after that. The cost of IVF has been phenomenal, and going back again is out of the question at this stage. We desperately want a child, and although I'm not one to "self medicate", this just seems like an obvious thing to do. Also, what dose would be advised I have? I was on 125ml per day for 7 days, I got 31 eggs - so I does work for me. Thanks you so much, Lisa :-)

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Lisa,

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I certainly understand where you are coming from.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

IVF can certainly be costly...and the medications play a huge expense in that cost.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

However, when you start looking at using injectable gonadotropins, careful monitoring of the estrogen level and follicle size is absolutely necessary...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you'll remember when you started to have ultrasounds every couple of days..

Customer:

Hi... :-)

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the reason is a potential complication called hyperstimulation

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hi..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hyperstimulation of the ovaries can be very serious.

Customer:

I did get hyper stimulation..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it varies in severity

Customer:

Which I know sounds crazy that i am willing to do it again, but I'm at my wits end...

Customer:

Mine was mild - medium

Dr. Pfeiffer :

right..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I understand you are getting frustrated..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

problem is using that medication 'blindly' is not safe..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

did you have any embryos frozen?

Customer:

I know..

Customer:

yes, we got 6 good ones out of 31

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..how many transfered

Customer:

we had to freeze them all and wait for me to be well enough to do the transfer

Dr. Pfeiffer :

from the hyperstim?

Customer:

we transferred 3 times (lost 3 in first thaw, 2 in second, last didn't stick)

Customer:

Yes, from H/S

Dr. Pfeiffer :

oh goodness...that's stinks.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so you would have to undergo another complete cycle

Customer:

But those 6 fertilized on their own..

Customer:

yeah yeah

Customer:

yes, that's right...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok

Customer:

I am currently on homeopathic and acupuncture...

Customer:

But nothing seems to be working. :-(

Dr. Pfeiffer :

certainly worth a shot, but I wouldn't use the injections without your doctor's supervision

Customer:

Ok, I appreciate your advice. I will not do it. :-)

Dr. Pfeiffer :

are you having IVF for poor ovulation or diminished sperm count?

Customer:

No, unexplained. We have had every test under the sun, mild PCOS is all we gave come up with. I o/v on my own, hubby's sperm is perfect

Dr. Pfeiffer :

got it...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and you've tried clomid?

Customer:

yes, for 6 months

Customer:

and metformin

Customer:

i am looking into everything

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...just making sure....

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX lol

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sounds like you've been through the ringer so to speak..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Ok...well, I wish you the best..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and good luck

Customer:

yes, i feel that way. :-)

Customer:

emotionally its the worst

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I understand that

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I know

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hang in there...and maybe you'll have a surprise when you least expect it.

Customer:

thanks so much, i actually feel better just talking about it it.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...you're welcome.

Customer:

Thanks for your time. i am very happy with the result. :-)

Dr. Pfeiffer :

great...glad to hear it.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

good luck and please take the time to rate my service.

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor