Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

I was on depo for three months from sep-dec. before that a

I was on depo for three months from sep-dec. before that a had been having clock like periods for almost a year (before that was pregnant). In early December two weeks befor I was set to go in for my shot I started my period. It lasted about two months. since then I had a nearly normal period in Feb. but again I have a period that's on day 14. I have dark blood in beginning then red with weird stingy stuff. totally at a loss.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so you came off depo in Dec of last year?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

have you been sexually active?

Customer:

yes and yes.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

any history of thyroid problems

Customer:

not personaly. was tested two years ago and was 'high' on the borderline of normal and not....

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...so most likely this is all related to the provera...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

although, it wouldn't hurt to have your thyroid tested again just to be sure.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and, if there's any chance of pregnancy...you might consider a pregnancy test as well.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that said, this isn't terribly uncommon in women who have been on a single dose of provera.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

some bleed the entire 3 months...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

some have nothing until they stop.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

provera is relatively strong and can have a lingering effect of suppressing ovulation for several months after coming off it.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

with time you should resume to cycle normally, thus, have regular periods.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so...most likely the depot, but you might consider the pregnancy test and thyroid test.

Customer:

I took a test (preg.) test early this month and was negative. Also I have used depo before once for two years and the next time for 6 months and haven't had any issues like this,.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's ok...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

contraceptives may work differently depending on a woman's age, health, weight, number of babies..etc

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, it's not that surprising nor worrisom.

Customer:

how long should I wait before I go in to my doctor ( I live six hours away so I really don't want to)?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, if you are soaking a pad an hour for 3 hours or more in a row...it needs to be evaluated.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if you feel light headed, dizzy, have nausea, fast heart rate...those are signs of anemia and should be evaluated.

Customer:

Good to know. At what point should I make the drive to see my doc? (400 miles) Symptoms I should watch for?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if you know your doctor well you might just ask him to call in a birth control pill.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

see those listed above..

Customer:

Is there anything eles I could try before another form of b.c.?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

motrin 800mg every 8 hours if you don't have health problems preventing such.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

studies show reduction of 40% blood loss due to anovulatory bleeding...which, if this is from the depo what you would have.

Customer:

I don't, and I will try anything at this point

Dr. Pfeiffer :

worth a shot...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

outside of the NSAIDs, hormones....

Customer:

will do. Thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sure...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome

Dr. Pfeiffer :

have a good one and good luck.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

please take the time to rate my service...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor