Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

I am trying to find out what is the ideal endometrial lining

I am trying to find out what is the ideal endometrial lining thickness towards the end of your cycle. I know it is usually measured pre-ovulation, so I am having a hard time finding numbers.

I had an ultrasound on cycle day 24, 10 days past ovulation, and my lining was a 5.4mm. The doctor said that was on the low end of normal. My cycles are usually 25-28 days, so this measurement was taken towards the end of my cycle.

I have been TTC for 9 cycles now. Is my lining thickness something to be concerned about, or should I continue trying for a full year before I seek more help regarding it?

Thank you.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

well..towards the end of the cycle being too thick is more of a concern.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so the thickness isn't really that important if it's relatively thin

Dr. Pfeiffer :

what's more important is the mid cycle thickness and we like to see at least 10 mm

Customer:

Would a 5.4mm measurement usually mean that the person wasn't pregnant - ie. it would be much higher if implantation had occurred?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Oh..I see.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes, that would be awfully thin to support a pregnancy.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sorry, I misunderstood

Customer:

So in your opinion, I shouldn't be too concerned about this measurement because it was taken at the end of the cycle?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

No..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I wouldn't be at all

Customer:

Okay, well thank you for your help, I appreciate it!

Dr. Pfeiffer :

at that time of the month we worry about it beeing too thick in a non pregnant woman

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but...before you wait an entire year make sure you have your partner's semen tested.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

very easy and just make sure that isn't the problems

Customer:

I did that at 6 months and he had a normal result, thank goodness

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...

Customer:

I had an ultrasound which showed no PCOS or pelvic problems

Customer:

so I guess I just need to be patient for now!

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so ask your doctor to do a day 21 progesterone..that will show if you are ovulating or not.

Customer:

Okay fabulous, will do. What level do you like to see the progesterone at for that day?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

anything over 3 means you ovulated

Customer:

Thanks for all your answers! Have a good one! :)

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor