Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

I want to know if i need to get tested and what i would need

I want to know if i need to get tested and what i would need to get tested for. I was in a serious relationship for a year. We have had oral sex only a couple of times. I have never been with anyone else and he had before me and had been tested. He tested negative. Im worried that i may need to get tested even though I have no symptoms
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

HEllo

Dr. Owen :

Well very Unlikely you have anything -

Dr. Owen :

But, given you are 21 - and you are sexually active - it would be reasonable to have a 'routine' exam and in that routine exam you should get a PAP smear, tested for Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, and HIV. Some doctors will also add HSV (herpes testing) and RPR - testing for syphillis

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

hi

Dr. Owen :

I am still here if you have questions

Customer:

So since he has been tested and it was negative and he was the first person i did anything with i should just get it checked?

Dr. Owen :

The only reason I am saying to get checked is because you have been sexually active with someone else and because you are 21, it is generally recommended to have your first pelvic exam and STD checks at this age.

Dr. Owen :

But, and a GOOD note, if he was negative for all STD's then you really do NOT need to worry, but testing is just something that is done routinely to make sure that you do not have any diseases, and so if you do, they are caught early enough so that you can be treated successfully

Dr. Owen :

I hope that helps and makes sense

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer:

oh okay so it basically i just need to get tested for my age and for safety.

Dr. Owen :

yes, that is absolutely correct

Dr. Owen :

More than likely ALL the tests will be normal and so please do not worry

Dr. Owen :

I hope this hels

Dr. Owen :

helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

We appreciate Positive feedback for helping you

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

And, if you have questions at any other time or date, just ask for me, Dr Owen

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Customer:

It helps so very much i was really scared. I am going to get tested for those things tomorrow.

Dr. Owen :

please do not be scared -

Dr. Owen :

you will have pelvic exams for the rest of your life - and ALL really for your safety -

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

This is the only way we get credit for helping you

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Have a good night and do not be afraid

Dr. Owen :

Hi - are you there?

Dr. Owen :

The EXCELLENT button is near the smile face, thank you

Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My friend is consider that she may have an std as well. Her and he boyfriend have only done stuff with each other. They are both virgins and have only done a few things. Is there anyway they could have a std even if they have never done anything with anyone else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Wasn't online
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

hello

if both are virgins STDs would be extremely unlikely...assuming both are being totally honest and have never engaged in ANY sort of activity with anyone else before.

The only real exception would be of oral herpes (fever sores) that can be transmitted simply by kissing.

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor