Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL ON JANUARY 6, 2012 DUE TO PAIN AND FOUND

I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL ON JANUARY 6, 2012 DUE TO PAIN AND FOUND THAT I HAVE A CYST ON MY LEFT OVARY AND ALSO THAT I WAS 5 WEEKS PREGNANT AT THAT TIME THE LADY THAT DID MY ULTRASOUND SAID THAT MY BABY HAD TO BE CONCIEVED AROUND DECEMBER 3, 2012 OR DECEMBER 4, 2012! THE FIRST DAY OF MY LAST MENSTRAL CYCLE WAS NOVEMBER 29, 2012 OR NOVEMBER 30, 2012 AND MY CYCLE WAS OVER COMPLETELY BY DECEMBER 2, 2012 WHICH IS VERY NORMAL FOR ME. I SLEPT WITH TWO DIFFERENT GUYS AT DIFFERENT TIMES ONE ON THE DECEMBER 3, 2012 AND DECEMBER 8, 2012 AND THAT WAS MY LAST TIME WITH HIM AND THEN AFTER THAT I SLEPT WITH THE OTHER ONE AFTER THE 10TH OF DECEMBER! MY QUESTION IS HOW ACCURATE ARE ULTRASOUNDS AND COULD THE ULTRASOUND LADY BE ACCURATE AND IN FACT I COULD HAVE GOTTEN PREGNANT DECEMBER 3RD OR 4TH OR IS SHE WRONG... I AM CONFUSED EITHER WAY I WAS INPREGNANTED BY PRECALM SO I AM TRYING TO NARROW DOWN AND KNOW IF I CAN GO BY WHAT THE ULTRASOUND LADY SAID
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

early ultrasounds are usually within 3 days.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

now, are your periods regular?

Customer:

yes my periods are regular

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and you're certain the first day of your last period was 29 nov?

Customer:

yes, I am positive that it was the 29th or the 30th and I am positive that my last day was december 2nd because I know what I did and when due to events

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

great

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thank

Dr. Pfeiffer :

s

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so there is basically no way you conceived on the 3rd or 4th

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that means you conceived around the 13th.

Customer:

so why would the ultrasound lady say that and how could I be 7weeks and some days now

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..I thought you said she told you that you were about 5 weeks.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

what was the due date she have you?

Customer:

she did tell me that I was 5weeks but that was on January 6, 2013 when I went to the hospital

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..right

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's what I thought

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that means you would have conceived around the 13th

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you have to remember that pregnancy dating is from the first day of your last menstrual period

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so normally conception occurs about 2 weeks after the first day of a period...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and so, you are technically 3 weeks pregnant when conception occurs

Customer:

so what could have happened with the ultrasound for her to assume that i had to conceive on the 3rd of 4th

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sorry 2 weeks..

Customer:

I don't understand that

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I think she meant to say 13th or 14th

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so on a normal 28 day cycle

Dr. Pfeiffer :

a woman ovulates around day14

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if she doesn't conceive she will have a period in 2 weeks.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if conception occurs (2 weeks after the first day of her period) she will miss the next period and the test will be positive.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's when conception would have occured.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and, that means it's most likely the partner from the 10th who is the father.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

That's the most likely. DNA testing would be the conclusive test.

Customer:

okay so basically there is no possible way at all it happened before the 10th

Dr. Pfeiffer :

There's always a chance around the 10th, but very unlikely before that.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the reason is ovulation can vary a few days and sperm can live in the female genital tract for several days.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's why I have to say most likely the 10th or later

Customer:

okay I understand that and I did sleep with the one on the 10th after the 10th also so it happened around the 13th or 14th as the ovulation chart shows

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...and that's most likely the father.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the sperm could easily live for 3 or 4 days in the female genital tract.

Customer:

so was the ultrasound lady wrong or is the ultrasound is just off by 2weeks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no..I think everything lines up.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I think she simply mispoke and meant to say the 13th of 14th

Dr. Pfeiffer :

basically...everything lines up with your last menstrual period...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

being around 5 weeks on 6Jan by ultrasound means conception occured around the 13th

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...does that clear it up for you?

Customer:

yes, I really appreciate it! I was just trying to be sure before I made any decisions

Customer:

how long do I have to have an abortion

Customer:

if I want to

Dr. Pfeiffer :

in most states it's 20 weeks

Customer:

if I have an abortion can I still have kids in the future

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes

Customer:

okay thank you so very much I really appreciate your help

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome

Dr. Pfeiffer :

please take the time to rate my service as good or excellent

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thank you

Customer:

ok sure will no problem

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor