Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

A little bit of background, I had a miscarriage 3 years ago.

A little bit of background, I had a miscarriage 3 years ago. I had a D&C a month after the missed miscarriage and the D&C left me with a AVM. I had an embolization operation a year after the D&C.

Now, I am actively trying to conceive again. My period has not been very regular. Sometimes I get a long 40 days cycle. My last cycle was short, only 12 days. And my current cycle started on Dec 15, 2012. On Jan 1, 2013, ovulation test was positive. On Jan 2, 3 and 4 ovulation test was negative. I assume Jan 2 was my ovulation day. We baby danced on Jan 1 and 2.

On Jan 3, I noticed small amount of light pink discharge. Jan 4, therew was some light pink discharge when wiping, and large amount of egg white discharge. Today, I started to have quite a bit of brown spotting and watery discharge, and mild cramping.

My BBT was rising from Jan 1 (from 97 to 97.6). This morning (Jan 5), my BBTwas close to 97.9 this morning, but I also woke up 2 hours later than usual.

Should I be concerned? What's your opinion on what I am experiencing? This is not normal to me, so I am quite worried.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello,

Dr. Pfeiffer :

let's start with what's going on..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

given your cycles have been kind of all over the place it's hard to know why the new discharge and spotting. Some causes are early pregnancy, infection, polyps and fibroids to name a few things.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the egg white discharge is consistent with ovulation...so it sounds like you are ovulating.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

now, remember the ovulation test measure the LH surge...and while the LH surge is necessary for ovulation, it does not necessarily mean you did ovulate.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I only mention that as you should notice the change in cervical mucus around the time of the positive OPK..that's reasurring.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

A day 21 progesterone will prove ovulation.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's a blood test.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Now...let's move to getting pregnant.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

First thing...you need to find out why your cycles are irregular as this is usually a result of not ovulating regularly.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

That can be temporary and caused by stress, illness, etc.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Or it can be more a ongoing thing and caused by things like polycystic ovarian syndrome, thyroid problem, abnormal prolactin levels, etc.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

There is medication to help ovulation, but you want to know if there is an underlying problem that needs to be fixed before using it.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

As for the BBT...it usually follows the progesterone level...so a small dip just prior to ovulation and then fairly rapid increase.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So, what you have seen may be a result of you having ovulated.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello...let me know that you have been able to read everything I have written thus far.

Customer:

Hi Dr. Pfeiffer, Thank you for your answer. Is there any chance I am having a miscarriage?

Customer:

I also have some mild cramping now

Dr. Pfeiffer :

well...it's early to say that

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it could simply be pain/spotting from ovulation

Customer:

Right. So if my BBT continues to rise, does it mean I have ovulated/conceived?

Customer:

If I do not do the progesterone blood test, is my BBT another reassuring sign?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..so if the BBT continue to rise it, along with the change in cervical mucus, suggests ovulation.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes, the BBT would be reassuring...but they are finicky

Dr. Pfeiffer :

taken at the same time, same method, without moving, etc.

Customer:

Thank you. Just one last question, so the main concern for me is whether I have been miscarrying without myself knowing...can you tell me when I should be concerned about a miscarriage and when should I go see the doctor to test if I indeed have a chemical pregnancy or miscarriage?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

very difficult question...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

basically, if your period is late and is heavy with a lot of cramping...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that suggests an early miscarriage.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your great answer and your help. I really appreciate your answer. It helps alot. So I don't have to be worried too much. Thanks!

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor