Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

I am a widow for 6 years in my late 50s. My husband was sick

I am a widow for 6 years in my late 50s. My husband was sick for 8 years. For many years we did not have sexual activity. I met a man (53) for whom I care deeply but we are unable to have sexual intercourse. My vagina seems to have a blockage. He gets to a certain point and we both have pain. Is this a common problem? Is there something that can be done? Any recommendations?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hi

Dr. Pfeiffer :

please reply so I know you can see what I type..

Customer:

hi

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...happy holidays

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so....what is happening to you is very common.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it has nothing to do with you falling years ago.

Customer:

Thank you. Same to you.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

what this is called is vaginal atrophy.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

literally meaning shrinking of the vulva and vagina

Dr. Pfeiffer :

this happens when a woman becomes menopausal

Customer:

So there is a name for it.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and the lack of estrogen causes the vaginal and vulvar tissue to become less elastic.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

in women who are menopausal this the atrophy still happens, but as long as they remain sexually active.....they can continue although it may be painful.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

in women who are not sexually active the opening of the vagina shrinks considerably...and the once pliable opening is less cooperative.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

now, this is reversible...but, it takes medicine and time.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

to regain sexual function you need to do the following...

Customer:

Good tto know that it is reversible.

Customer:

What do I need to do?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you'll need to see your gynecologist for a prescription of vaginal estrogen.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's the starting point.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the vaginal estrogen helps make the vaginal tissue more robust.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

next, you'll have to use a set of vaginal dilators.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

these are small phalic appearing plastic tools that start at small sizes and gradually increase in diameter.

Customer:

Okay.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

with time and persistence you can gradually stretch the vaginal tissue to allow for intercourse.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

this is the same process that is used for women with congenital lack of a vagina and they can attain sexual function...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, it will work for you...it will just take time.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

some ob/gyns carry the dilators in there office...some do not.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you can get them online though.

Customer:

I am glad to hear that i cn be reversed. I was a little leary of asking this question in person. Now that I have an idea what to talk about, and knowing that it is common, I will discuss this with my doctor now.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yep....totally ok..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

we deal with this all the time

Dr. Pfeiffer :

do NOT hesitate.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're only 59 and have years of sexuallity left.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

we all take this approach so please don't be afraid to have a candid discussion with your gynecologist.

Customer:

Good to know.

Customer:

I will not hesitate.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...good for you!!

Dr. Pfeiffer :

is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

Thank you for answering my question. I feel a little "smarter" now.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I would appreciate it if you would take the time to rate my service..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and please come back if you have any private questions in the future.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer:

I will be happy to rate your service.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..thank you and Happy New Year to you.

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor