Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

good afternoon, i am 8 weeks pregnant and i have just been

good afternoon,

i am 8 weeks pregnant and i have just been dx with lyme disease. i have had the disease for 2 years. I am having a surgical aspiration abortion saturday. I will be flying on a continental 2 hr flight on tuesday (2 days after abortion). dr said it was fine, but can you tell me your opinion please? this is an urgent flight that i cant cancel unless i MUST.

THNAKS
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's a personal opinion by your physician

Dr. Pfeiffer :

under dire circumstances I have also allowed my patients to travel 2 days after a D&C.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

It is tolerated very well.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Pain, cramping and bleeding are potential complications that can arise...so that's why we typically ask our patients to stay in the area for 1-2 weeks following surgery.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

There is also an increased risk of blood clots following surgery.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So..it would be important to get up and walk around at least once on that flight.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So, as long as you have your doctor blessing, understand potential risks involved, know what to look for and have a plan should something happen while traveling...I think it is prudent if the circumstances dictate.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I might add...if the trip isn't that long you might consider making the trip and having the procedure done when you get home.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer:

thanks so much. trip is 1 night only and it is to get treatment for lyme. unformtunately, i have to not be pregnant when i go to the out of state appointment, hence having to do it saturday. flight is tuesday at 7 pm. so, it should be fine right? should i take a baby aspirin to prevent blood clots? can u tell me what signs would a blood clot produce? I want to be very vigilant. thanks os much and God bless.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So chances are you'll be fine and the trip will be uneventful...I just wanted you to understand, as I'm sure you doctor will to, that there is a chance you end up have problems (ie. cramping, bleeding).

Dr. Pfeiffer :

What you will find is the more active you are the more bleeding you will experience.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Cramping the first couple of days is normal, but usually nothing more than a menstrual type cramp.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Unless there is high risk for a blood clotting problem prophylactic medication isn't indicated.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

there are text book presentation of blood clots (DVTs) - swelling, pain, warmth, redness in the calf area.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and there are atypcial presentation, such as a cramp in the calf.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I have seen both.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Really, you have to be vigilant about moving throughout the day, not 'overdoing' it where you have cramping and bleeding.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor