Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

I am 58 years old, and have started having intercourse after

I am 58 years old, and have started having intercourse after 3 years ( divorce) I noticed some pain on the inside of my labia minor and when I looked with a mirror I noticed some excoriation there. What can I use to heal this and how can I prevent it in the future. I am also experiencing some odorless clear discharge.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

this is common in menopausal women.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

it happens as the vulva and vaginal tissue atrophy (shrink), become less elastic and dry

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the reason it happens is the lack of estrogen.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the best treatment is vaginal estrogen replacement to help make the vaginal tissue more robust.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

an alternative to that (non-hormonal) is an OTC product called replens

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Replens is marketed as a vaginal moisturizer, but studies have shown improvement in the vaginal mucosa similar to estrogen..just not as profound.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

As for the discharge...this too is likely caused by the lack of estrogen...and it might require a short course of antibiotics to make it go away such as Flagyl or clindamycin.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So...I'd recommend an exam to have the discharge evaluated and antibiotics prescribed.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you can take that opportunity to discuss vaginal estrogen.

Customer:

What can I do to heal these now?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you can use simple neosporin on the areas you can see

Dr. Pfeiffer :

refrain from intercourse until you are healed.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the estrogen would help minimize this from happening again.

Customer:

what about the excoriations, how do I heal them?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's what I'm talking about.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

on the areas you see the excoriations you can use simple neosporin.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

keep the area clean and dry..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and they will heal just fine.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

just refrain from intercourse until you are healed up.

Customer:

what about the excoriations? how do I heal them?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

are you able to see my answers above?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

on the excoriated areas you can see..you can use simple neosporin.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

keep the area clean and dry...and they will heal just fine.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

just refrain from intercourse until you're healed up.

Customer:

thank-you

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're very welcome.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if you have other questions please come back and ask.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and...please take the time to rate my service as good/excellent.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.