Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

Hello, I have LEFT side abdominal swelling, discomfort/pain

I have LEFT side abdominal swelling, discomfort/pain and gas . The exact location is about an inch below the belly button, to the left of the abdomen.
Why does it look swollen compared to the right side. I am constipated. i have no other symptoms. Please tell my why the swelling?

(Please do not tell me to go have imaging , etc. I would like to know the cuase for the selling. Thanks)
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the decending colon passes just behind the left ovary then behind the uterus.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So, constipation certainly can be the cause of the swelling.

Customer:

Why does it swell. Is it the stool?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

other potential causes would be an ovarian cyst or even a fibroid in the uterus where the stool in the colon is pushing these structures up against the abdominal wall.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes..it could be the stool or the stool in the colon pushing structures forward.

Customer:

I know it is not a fibroid or a cyst as i had my exams not too long ago and everything was fine. This is a bowel problem. I feel the gas on my left side.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..

Customer:

I wouldnt have the gas problem if this was a female problem, correct?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, I think I might try miralax (OTC) to alleviate the constipation and see if the symptoms go away.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

not normally...that is correct.

Customer:

Please put my mind at ease that this is not cancer. thanks, XXXXX XXXXX will accept

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Well..I don't know, but certainly not the first thing that comes to mind....especially at age 46.

Customer:

what are the reasons of bowel swelling other than constipation

Dr. Pfeiffer :

the most common is diverticular disease

Customer:

Any cancers?

Customer:

I will accept as soon as you reply

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes, possible if there's a mass.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but, if that were the cause...the symptoms would not go away after treating the constipation.

Customer:

what kind other than gynecological

Dr. Pfeiffer :

possibly a hernia

Customer:

any cancerous mass other than gyn. ones?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

unlikely

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor