Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

I am having a cystocele and rectocele repair using polypropolene

I am having a cystocele and rectocele repair using polypropolene mesh - I am very nervous about using mesh - I undertstand this mesh is safe, is it? Also, how do I get a really good idea about how good my surgeon really is. He is a Urologist - should I be using someone that specializes in pelvic reconstruction for women instead. Thank you

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

over the years we have learned quit a bit about mesh....and the mesh used today is very safe.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Most complications with mesh is that of errosion, where the tissue over the mesh become thin and the mesh begins to present itself.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

This is more a surgical technique problem and a problem with the mesh.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

With vaginal reconstruction and sligns involving mesh a full thickness incision must be made....sometimes that doesn't happen.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

While a urologist may be very good at these procedures I would seek an opinion from one of the experts in the ob/gyn field.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

They are called urogynecologists. The were ob/gyns that did an additional 3 years of training focusing soley on women, incontinence, pelvic suspension and reconstruction.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Most urologists that I know do a lot of work on men.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So, you might want to find out how often your urologist works on women..or you might just see a urogynecologist just to be sure.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Regards,

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer