Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

I have a Paragard IUD. Approximately 5 days ago I had sex and

I have a Paragard IUD. Approximately 5 days ago I had sex and it was interrupted due to unexpected bleeding. I thought I was beginning my period, but I didn't. After sex, I had no more bleeding. Since then I have been really constipated and when I did use the bathroom 4 days ago, there was blood in my feces. My upper abdomen is really bloated and although I've taken some natural supplements to help, it hasn't. My question is, is it possible that this has been caused by the IUD puncturing something inside of me? I'm not sure if this is more of a bowel problem or an IUD problem, but previously I've been regular and using the bathroom every morning of every day.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

abnormal bleeding is pretty common after insertion of an IUD.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

this usually becomes regular with time.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

now, you should be able to feel the strings...and that will give you an indication that the IUD is in the proper place

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ie..not having punctured through the uterus

Customer:

I'm sorry, I have had the IUD for a couple of years, I didn't mention that

Dr. Pfeiffer :

got it..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

sorry

Dr. Pfeiffer :

pap tests normal for you?

Customer:

they have been abnormal before, but they retested and it was normal

Customer:

i could still feel the strings

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..good

Dr. Pfeiffer :

doesn't sound like the IUD

Customer:

i'm in between medicaid and insurance now and can't go anywhere but it worried me

Dr. Pfeiffer :

did you tear at all during intercourse?

Customer:

i'm not sure how to tell if anything was torn, i've had a 10 lb baby before if that tells you anything.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Customer:

it was just unsual because it was around the time i would have started my period

Dr. Pfeiffer :

any hemorrhoids

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok..it could be related to that

Customer:

and i thought that's why it did start, but after i put a tampon in the for day there was no bleeding and my period never came

Dr. Pfeiffer :

but you're sure this was vaginal bleeding

Customer:

i don't know if i have hemorrhoids....people have tried to explain what they are to me before and i'm kind of clueless about that. and yes, it was definitely vaginal bleeding...

Customer:

i have a retroflexed uterus...if that matters

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no, doesn't really matter

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok. so, try taking OTC stool softener such as colace

Customer:

since then i haven't been able to use the bathroom and i just feel bloated and swollen in my upper abdomen.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that should help with the constipation

Customer:

i have tried that and no luck yet. but you're thinking the 2 things are completely unrelated?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if it doesn't, you can also try a laxitive called miralax

Dr. Pfeiffer :

well...I don't think it

Dr. Pfeiffer :

is the IUD

Customer:

i'm familiar with miralax, my daughter took it when she was a baby. that may be what i have to do

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that would help to get you back to regular and see if any of these symptoms persist.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

blood with BM and constipation is usually due to a small tear or hemorrhoid.

Customer:

the iud was what i was most worried about, but i can still feel the strings. is it ever possible for the IUD to be pushed in a little too much and not come out of place but still puncture somewhere?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

No..not really.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you can see something like that if it's been inserted into the muscle of the uterus.

Customer:

ok, well i guess they're separate issues...and ijust need to go to the bathroom

Dr. Pfeiffer :

But that is very uncommon with the paragard because the arms are bent backwards at insertion

Dr. Pfeiffer :

rather than forward with the Mirena

Customer:

oh.....i see

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I think the laxative is a good place to start and see if symptoms persist.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

When you get your insurance up and running...see your gynecologist for an exam.

Customer:

I will just try that, and thank you for your help I appreciate this. I definitely will go see them to make sure. Thank you again. At least I feel more at ease that it's more than likely not the IUD...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

take care

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have a good night

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and please take the time to rate my service good/excellent

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you too.

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor