Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

I was on the microgyn pill (taken for the 1st time ever) for

I was on the microgyn pill (taken for the 1st time ever) for 2 months on the 1st November 2012 was the last day on the pill, I then had unprotected sex for the next 3 days & 2 days after that I had the withdrawal bleeding for 3days ... can I still be pregnant?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

just to be certain I understand.

Customer:

ok?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you took the pill from Sept to Nov?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Pfeiffer :

stopped the first of novemeber

Dr. Pfeiffer :

had sex the 1-4th of novemeber

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and then bled 2 days after that..

Customer:

sorry it was the 24th November

Customer:

haad sex on the 25th 26th and 27th

Customer:

and then bled 2 days after

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok....and then bled 29th

Customer:

yes

Dr. Pfeiffer :

got it.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

over the course of the 2 months you were on it..did you miss any pills?

Customer:

just 1 day but that was on the 1st month in sept

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

did you have a period in between or take them straigt for the 2 months?

Customer:

i had a period in between

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...and when you stopped the pill on the 24th was the delay in the bleeding the same that you had experienced previously?

Customer:

yes but during those days I never had unprotected sex

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

last question...when you stopped on the 24th was it at the end of the 3 weeks of active pills, in the middle, or after the placebo pills?

Customer:

at the end of the 3 weeks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're not pregnant

Customer:

really there is not even a slim chance

Dr. Pfeiffer :

based upon all the information you have provided, when you stopped, the timing of intercourse, and the normal withdrawal bleed after intercourse adds up to not being pregnant.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you could always say there's a chance...but the odds are like those of winning the lottery.

Customer:

ok thanks its just I have been a little paranoid because the last month I bled it was for 5 days and this time it was only for 3 and it wasnt as heavy like it was last time

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you will problably notice a change in flow and regularity for the next few months.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

when a woman starts or stops a pill bleeding changes...and that usually take 3 months to see what's going to happen.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

in your case, I suspect the lighter bleeding this time was due to being on the pill for 2 months rather than being pregnant.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

many times the pill will decrease flow...with the 'normal' being determined on the third month..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, not that surprising the flow is different.

Customer:

do you think I should still take a pregnancy test? and how soon could i take one for it to be accurate

Dr. Pfeiffer :

what I would do is wait until your next period is due...which would be 28 days from the first day of your last period..

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so around the 28th or 29th of december.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

if you miss that, wait a week to see if there is simply a delay due to coming off the pill....and if there is still no bleeding at that point, a home urine pregnancy test would be accurate.

Customer:

probably a stupid question but for example what if I took a test tomorrow morning would that be reliable, its just that I am strssing myself out and I guess I just want to know for definate

Dr. Pfeiffer :

no. It would not be accurate.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

a blood test is accurate 11 days after sex...so that's the soonest you would be able to tell for sure.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

so, a blood test would be accurate now.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

for a urine test I usually recommend waiting a week after a missed period as that's when they are most reliable.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you can see a positive test about a week before a period is due, but if it's negative, I wouldn't rely on it...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

that's why I recommend waiting for a week after a missed period.

Customer:

ok thank you but from what I have told you the chances are I am not pregnant?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

yes..I don't think you pregnant.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and I think the chances of you being pregnant is similar to the odds of winning the lottery...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

very small

Customer:

thank you for your help

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're certainly welcome.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

please take the time to rate my service as good or excellent...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

and don't hesitate to come back for any future questions.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

thanks

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Dr. Pfeiffer

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor