Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

Over the last few weeks I have had the sensation that there

Over the last few weeks I have had the sensation that there is something in my vagina, almost like a bulging, raw feeling. There is no pain, but there is a slight burning at the vaginal opening. I have experienced light bleeding with intercourse.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

hello

Dr. Pfeiffer :

can you describe the bulge? Soft, firm, big, small, painfull...etc

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

It really isn't outside the vagina, its just more of a feeling inside the vagina. Although, when I sit I feel pressure at the opening of the vagina, and have a "raw" feeling, for lack of better words.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

on the top or bottom?

Customer:

It's almost the feeling of a displaced tampon.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok. any worse when you have a bowel movement?

Dr. Pfeiffer :

do you feel like you have to have a bowel movement while having intercourse?

Customer:

No. No worse with BM's. I do not have that feeling with intercourse. I don't really have pain at all, even with intercourse.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Ok.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

how many times have you been pregnant?

Customer:

I have never been pregnant.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

any problems with leaking of urine?

Customer:

No problems with that.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

have you ever had an abnormal pap test?

Customer:

No, not to date I have not.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

is there an odor of any sorts?

Customer:

There has been a very light odor with my menstrual cycle, but no abnormal odor, or discharge.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So...no chance of a foreign body correct?

Customer:

I do use tampons, but I am 99.9% sure that is not an issue.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok

Dr. Pfeiffer :

So..off the top of my head..it doesn't sound like anything serious.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

The part that has me a bit concerned is the bleeding with intercourse

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Sometimes that can be due to abnormal cells...but usually women have a history of abnormal pap tests or haven't had one in a long time.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Now...the upper 2/3rds of the vagina don't have pain receptors...so that generally means it is lower than that.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

This could be due to an infection, polyp coming from the cervix, an inclusion cyst in the vagina, a large nabothian cyst on the cervix, and even prolapse of the cervix (usually seen in women who have been pregnant).

Dr. Pfeiffer :

I have even seen very large fibroids from the uterus protrude the entire length of the vagina...so that too is a possiblity.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

In any event, I would strongly encourage you to have a pelvic exam done by your gynecologist.

Customer:

I have an appointment, I was just doing reading related to cervical cancer and decided to see what else I could find out.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Right...and that's what most women do.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Fortunately it is usually not cancer, but what you do read about all the time

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Especially if you don't have history of an abnormal pap test.

Customer:

I don't have that history, but I also have not had a pap in 2 years. I appreciate your help.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

That's within the guidelines.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

Cervical cancers, on average, take about 10 years to develop.

Dr. Pfeiffer :

ok...

Dr. Pfeiffer :

you're welcome

Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience: Ob/Gyn Doctor